George Floyd 2021 and trial

100%

There were lots of facts in the testimony from the bystanders, and the attempt to describe their testimony solely in terms of emotion is misleading and very cynical. A good starting point for any discussion would not be using loaded and inaccurate language to describe their testimony in order to portray a skewed picture of the event. You know, much like those terrible ideologically driven lying media stations do. #pots #kettles #selfawareness

Another police murder in Minneapolis:

Minnesota National Guard deployed after protests over the police killing of a man during a traffic stop

Hundreds of people protested Sunday night after a Black man in Minnesota was shot by a police officer and died following a traffic stop.

The shooting happened Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn Center, a Minneapolis suburb of about 30,000 people. The city is about 10 miles from where former police officer Derek Chauvin is on trial for the killing of another Black man, George Floyd.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz identified the man killed in Sunday’s incident as Daunte Wright.

“Gwen and I are praying for Daunte Wright’s family as our state mourns another life of a Black man taken by law enforcement,” Walz tweeted.

I heard they rioted, not just protested, wasn’t there rioting and looting?

edit quick check, yup, rioting.

That sentence makes it sound like the people doing the protesting were also doing the looting. That is not the case.

“Protesters later gathered at Brooklyn Center police headquarters. Law enforcement formed a human chain to protect the building and started using flashbangs and tear gas to try to disperse the crowd, according to CBS Minnesota reporters at the scene.”

“John Harrington, the commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, said the unrest that followed Mr. Wright’s death had spread to a mall in Brooklyn Center and that people had broken into about 20 businesses there. By about midnight, most of the protesters had fled from around the police department, once National Guard troops and Minnesota State Patrol officers arrived to back up the police officers who stood around the building with riot gear and batons.”

1 Like

Save it, when did you ever try to put into context people who peacefully gathered on January 6th.

The news was someone got shot, yes there were protests and yes there were riots and looting. No one is implying anything.

3 Likes

Uncivil

Otherworldly inaccurate, false equivalence, whataboutism

Interesting that’s the first reaction, not sympathy for the victim or distress over another police shooting. #conservatives

Putting things into context. Like when you stood out for BLM protests? Oh wait…

2 Likes

I don’t have the facts of the case. That’s all I know. It’s probably best to wait until some facts are known before people start rioting wouldn’t you agree?

I believe everyone has put those people in the proper context. Once they took a step onto federal property, they were all instant criminals.

They went after people who never entered the building and only attended a rally.

Why focus on ‘rioting’ at all?

I could reply more, but this was written by a Minneapolis resident I know close to the situation and believe these words say what needs to be said:

"If your first response to the police killing of Daunte Wright at a traffic stop is:

• what did he do?
  • did he have a warrant?
  • did he comply?
  • I hope they don’t riot again
  • I hope there’s no looting
  • What about black on black crime?

Then it’s time to check in with your soul & recognize we have been manipulated & conditioned to fear, stereotype & criminalize young black men, that all white have people have, and this process of brainwashing- by a racist justice system, a racist policing system and a compliant media and entertainment landscape- is what directly leads to cops who see those who they “swore to protect” as nothing more than violent super criminals to be subjugated by extreme force, rather than as fathers, sons, friends, or perhaps a fragile and scared individual in crisis.

Once again police in MN (& everywhere) demonstrate that they do not have the judgement or emotional capacity or empathy to handle the vast majority of situations we have tasked them with handling. And their ranks are so rotten with seething bigotry that it should no longer be a radical idea to “defund the police” or “abolish the police” or to say “Fuck the Police”. This shit is broken. The police in America break black people. It happens every day. It’s built into their job. This young father, scared to death, pulled over because of some fucking air fresheners. I don’t care about a fucking warrant. I don’t care if he got back in his car. I don’t care if he drives away in that situation. It is a psychotic idea that any of that would merit a death sentence.

We are so sick of empty words from police chiefs, mayors, governors. So sick of their bloated police and military budgets. Of their thoughts and prayers and their inaction. So sick of media outlets pumping out images of desperate, agitated people looting a Foot Locker like that’s the real problem. Sick of useless posts like this by white left-leaning people like me, helpless & guilty & nowhere to go with your outrage except to our phone. Sick of peaceful protestors getting tear gassed and rubber bullets to the face from the same assholes that stormed the US Capitol on January 6th.

Fuck this. RIP Daunte"

1 Like

Ah yes, the infamous ‘they’. :smile:

To be fair, many went after Trump for being at the rally and inciting the insurrection, correctly so. Thanks for reminding everyone.

1 Like

No, my first response is “I don’t know what happened” do you? Other than someone got shot. Which I don’t immediately assume is because of racial prejudice, but it seems you do.

1 Like

I know another black man got killed by a cop in Minneapolis. Brooklyn Center, if we’re being technical. The cop claims it was an accident, and he was reaching for his taser but got it wrong. Isn’t that what happened in the Oscar Grant situation in Fruitvale as well?

I’m no cop, but shouldn’t a cop know the difference between his gun and taser if trained properly?

You’re doing it again.

Yes that is factual.

No you are, see above.

OK, but let’s address the text I put up because I felt it made a lot of important points. First of all, with yet another incident like this, is it becoming clearer why frustrated poor people turn towards slogans like F the police, ACAB, etc? Can you empathize more the frustration behind those sentiments after this?

I also agree when he said he is “Sick of peaceful protestors getting tear gassed and rubber bullets to the face from the same assholes that stormed the US Capitol on January 6th.”.

I think most non-establishment types feel these sentiments very strongly right now.

No you are not making important points, defund the police is stupid.

Now let me put this into perspective from the police point of view, nothing to do with race, traffic stops in the US can be very dangerous for cops, way more so than the UK or Taiwan, this was officer Tatum walking though another encounter recently where a black uniformed military guy was pepper sprayed and used an example of how fast and bad a traffic stop can go. Prompted for you.

You are disregarding the reasons why people feel like this, an attitude that is definitely not anti-establishment, and one more likely to lead to more of this type of violence.

And yes, I watched the video. It’s unrelated to the event we are discussing.

You’ve already missed the point with this comment. Even if this cop was scared, she was incompetent and unfit to serve.

EDIT: cop was misgendered as ‘he in a type’, should read ‘she’. Has been corrected.

You haven’t thought it though, defunding the police if that is the route that is going to be undertaken at best will only result in a new force of police being funded.

Which is what happened in a couple of places that decided to defund the police, crime rocketed and they are now infusing large sums of cash to recruit new police.

Rank stupidity and exactly what everyone was telling the “defund the police” crowd, proportionally more of the AA were saying “don’t do this” than any other community.

You are misgendering the cop.

1 Like