German army in trouble over racist video

Again I would question how you would implement effective leadership in this case? As to the officers - they may or may not have been at the shooting range but it’s not possible to have one officer for every training officer on site (the training officer was actually a NCO).
I just think it’s unreasonable to assume that you could have prevented the instructor from saying those things.
[/quote]

Assuming that the NCO in question had been an instructor for some time, it would seem fair to also assume that his direct superior officers in that training unit would be familiar with said NCO’s methods. Assuming that said NCO was a novice instructor, then it would also seem fair to assume that his direct superior officers would be in close proximity while he was instructing. Especially when the weapon being taught is as vital as the HK21 HMG. This wasn’t just any old rifle drill.

Of course, officers can’t be everywhere at once. Who would want them to be? That’s what the NCOs are for. And usually it’s the case that training instructors are made up of reliable, trustworthy NCOs who are well versed in the particulars of their superior’s command. As any good NCO will immediatly let you know, they are the backbone of any effective army. That said, it also must be said that they must give the appearance of not being out of step with their superiors. Especially with training in heavy weapons.

This event also raises issues about the controlling the use of cell phone cameras (as part of a general practice of limiting troops use of non-standard devices), which is what interests me, as it has obvious interest to officers of all armies worldwide.

Indeed.
And then there’s the poor soldier who was being trained. I wonder how he feels about all of this?

I may be wrong, but it seems that there have been a number of dubious events involving the Bundeswehr over the last few years. Is this part of general decline in what was once one of the most emulated & well-regarded armies in NATO? Or is it more of a problem related to social issues, such as the impact of technology, and the different mindsets amongst today’s youth who make up new recruits?

I dunno what the methods are used today but I don’t recall that I had to shout anything during firing practice, and neither were we told a story who the targets are supposed to be. Who knows, maybe it was the first time he used that particular method, for whatever reason (maybe he thought it was funny or cool or whatever). Or maybe he used that method before while saying “Imagine some terrorists …” and tried to do a variation on that. What I am trying to say it that this might have come out of the blue, unexpected by everyone. And the moment the words were spoken it was too late …

I remember the weapons training as very strict. No fooling around and we were told that the instructor would not hesitate to hit us if we for example turned around and pointed the weapon at someone, even it wasn’t loaded. And that they would shoot us if someone would start firing at other people (the instructors carried all handguns if I recall correctly).

[quote]This event also raises issues about the controlling the use of cell phone cameras (as part of a general practice of limiting troops use of non-standard devices), which is what interests me, as it has obvious interest to officers of all armies worldwide.

Indeed.[/quote]
Yep, might be interesting to know how and why. Could be that the two officers were friends and planned the thing - but it obviously did backfire.

I wouldn’t worry, it’s not his fault and he followed orders. I am not being sarcastic but the worst he did was to say ‘motherfucker’ before shooting. No reason to blame him and no reason for him to feel bad, the NCO alone was at fault.

Dunno. Maybe fred can explain it to us since he is so well informed about the German psyche?

and I am glad that you asked…

I am shocked by your attempts to understand the gross behavior of these individuals, which obviously could not have taken place without approval and encouragement from their superiors. This goes all the way to the top and these individuals should not be punished. NO! The entire German leadership needs to resign to take accountability for the actions of these men. Nothing less will assuage my delicate sensibilities regarding matters of race and human rights and, oh yes, international law. I demand action. Why doesn’t the German leadership resign in disgrace? There needs to be a thorough investigation, etc. etc. etc. This matter has clearly become Germany’s Abu Ghraib, its Guantanamo, a searing indictment of the failed morality and frivolous finagling of international law characterized by the German nation. Germany has become a sore on the civilized world. Blah. Blah. Blah. Etc. Etc. Etc. Outraged. Outraged. Shrill. Shrill. Shrill…

I am shocked by your attempts to understand the gross behavior of these individuals, which obviously could not have taken place without approval and encouragement from their superiors. This goes all the way to the top and these individuals should not be punished. NO! The entire German leadership needs to resign to take accountability for the actions of these men. Nothing less will assuage my delicate sensibilities regarding matters of race and human rights and, oh yes, international law. I demand action. Why doesn’t the German leadership resign in disgrace? There needs to be a thorough investigation, etc. etc. etc. This matter has clearly become Germany’s Abu Ghraib, its Guantanamo, a searing indictment of the failed morality and frivolous finagling of international law characterized by the German nation. Germany has become a sore on the civilized world. Blah. Blah. Blah. Etc. Etc. Etc. Outraged. Outraged. Shrill. Shrill. Shrill…[/quote]

So, as an ethnic Prussian, you should be locked up in Guantanamo too? I love the neocon dream. It makes perfect sense now.

I am shocked by your attempts to understand the gross behavior of these individuals, which obviously could not have taken place without approval and encouragement from their superiors. This goes all the way to the top and these individuals should not be punished. NO! The entire German leadership needs to resign to take accountability for the actions of these men. Nothing less will assuage my delicate sensibilities regarding matters of race and human rights and, oh yes, international law. I demand action. Why doesn’t the German leadership resign in disgrace? There needs to be a thorough investigation, etc. etc. etc. This matter has clearly become Germany’s Abu Ghraib, its Guantanamo, a searing indictment of the failed morality and frivolous finagling of international law characterized by the German nation. Germany has become a sore on the civilized world. Blah. Blah. Blah. Etc. Etc. Etc. Outraged. Outraged. Shrill. Shrill. Shrill…[/quote]
I agree, Merkel should resign so we can have Schroeder back. That would make you happy, no?

Yes! Er NO! I mean um… let me think…

It is all Schroeder and Fischer’s fault because this culture of racism and acceptance and encouragement of racist actions actually PREDATES Merkel’s tenure as Chancellor so Schroeder and Fischer are still to blame! Yes! I am outraged! Shrilly so!

You want Schilly to be removed too? :s

On a related note … not all was bad during the 3rd Reich. For instance what the Führer had to say about people not switching off their cellular in a movie theatre (Lichtspielhaus).

“Äs wärd zoröckgebämmelt!”

Of course! But has that not already occurred, surely?

and remember! I am outraged! shrilly so! appalled by the gross violations and perpetrations (deliberate) of abuse and torture by the very highest levels of the German government. NEVER in the history of the world have such fascistly (deliberate) dicatorial abuses of power and trust occurred and I am outraged nay I am OUTRAGED.