German Kitchen or German Soul?

Which is the better German restaurant?

And, less importantly, why are the only two German restaurants in the city two doors apart from each other?

2 Likes

why are the only two German restaurants in the city two doors apart from each other?

Maybe they are run by economics professors. Economic theory says that this is the optimal location for both of them to maximise customers as strange as that may sound🤭

7 Likes

It appears to work for Mexican restaurants in Kaohsiung and Indian restaurants in Taipei, too.

2 Likes

German Soul. The proprietor is super friendly too.

7 Likes

There’s a German movie called Soul kitchen.

I didn’t like it as much as Head -On.

Just so you know.

2 Likes

And that’s how we get places like Guanghua, Aiguo and Chengde.

I love Guanghua.

It sometimes works well to have clusters of the same type of business. Good for customers too, because prices will be fairly the same and not outrageously high unless they work together scamming people.

On the other hand I have seen it numerous times. A restaurant of a certain type opens, has some success, then some copycat opens next door, business for both is not enough, both close down. Geniuses at work.

2 Likes

I didn’t try the German kitchen, but can vouch for German Soul. Good, typical food, great home made sausages - also delivered to Taipei frozen.

Owner seems to be a nice guy, unlike the owners of certain Taipei German restaurants.

I remember having asked the owner about the other place nearby, but alas, can’t remember the details. I just remember that there seemed to a fair amount of mix-ups. And the other one seems to be more “local”.

4 Likes

Are the Taipei German ones not as nice? or just the boss?

Sorry I wasn’t very clear, I tried to fix the post above. I was refering only to the bosses of two of the more well known German restaurants in Taipei. Or ex-boss in case of the arguably most famous one. Compared to those, I feel the personality of the owner of German Soul compared extremely favourably ^^

1 Like

He’s also from East Germany, so he has some interesting stories to tell about his childhood. And he sometimes has special GDR dishes for a limited time.

5 Likes

Honestly both places look somewhat “local” from the photos of the atmosphere and food. I’ll try German Soul based on the recommendations here, though. Thanks!

2 Likes

And remember to post your review and thoughts!

3 Likes

Interesting. It’s been two years or so since I visited German Soul regularly, but this impression surprises me. Anyway, that’s the vibe you get - I’m interested in hearing a review after the fact. Enjoy!

1 Like

It was just my initial impression from the photos-- I defer to those of you who have actually been there as far as that goes.

1 Like

Sooooo… Seems it wasn’t that impressive?

Didn’t end up making it there on that trip to Kaohsiung. Another time!

2 Likes

What are GDR dishes?

1 Like

German Democratic Republic. The communist government back when East Germany was controlled by the USSR. He’s from the East originally.

1 Like

I believe (or hope, anyway) Connie was asking what the GDR dishes are, not what the GDR is.

1 Like