German Taiwan wedding

Dear Forum,

I inquired at the German “weddind” office (Standesamt) about the procedure in case of a wedding in Germany. They told me ridiculous things, that it takes at least 8-10 month (due to the fact, that the office
doesn`t take her Taiwanese papers (translated into English and German)serious, this job has to be done by the German Foreign Ministry (how do they do this??), what explains the terrible long time !!)

I heard about many German people marry their foreign partner in Denmark, where the wedding procedure is quite simple. And due to EU
conditions (some are not too bad) every other EU country has to agree
with the Danish wedding certificate.

I checked this too and it seems to be true regarding my homecountry.

My question is: Will Taiwan easily accept the Danish document at all ??
Because we obviously aren’t Danish citizens … ??
And then enable me to complete the procedures (in Taiwan) for Ministry of Foreign Affairs to issue me a Joining Family Resident Visa (JFRV) for Taiwan ?? :help:

Has anyone in this forum done this before and maybe can give us some helpful information about this ??

I think you should try to get married in Germany first.

In other words, get all your documents together, and go to the appropriate court and try to get married.

If you run into specific problems, please continue your postings here.

Get married in HK. No papers needed, just passport. Divorce is the same.

At least so says my German friend who went through exactly the same hassle with his Standesamt and is going to get married in HK soon.

Cheers

Just get married here. It’s very simple.

I suggest that you PM Iris for details. She is German and got married in Taiwan.

Brian

Uh. Why not get married in Taiwan and in Denmark?

Uh, most places don’t let you get married if you are already married, even if it is to the same person. (Those “get married again” things you see in movies and afternoon tv specials are purely ceremonial.)

Uh. That usually would be within the same country. Are ya telling me that Denmark and Taiwan share data as to who’s married and who’s not?

I was thinking Denmark first and then Taiwan. Marry in Denmark for the purposes of Germany and then come back to Taiwan and get married here. Of course there’s a timetable situtation of which I am unaware.

I got married in Taiwan. Then I thought they will quickly acknowledge our marriage in Germany. No, they do not. It is a process of about 3 month, so I combined it with the process to apply for a family reunion visa for my wife. Combine visa and acknowledgement (legalization) of the marriage papers, or you have 6 month !!!

She came and she left again, because it is soooooo terrible, but that’s another theme. If you want to bring her to Germany, be aware she will not be happy.

But even if you marry in Taiwan, German bureaucracy can make problems. Taiwan asked me for a “single certificate”. The German equivalent is different from “Bundesland” (state) to Bundesland.
In Bavaria, they just check you are single and give you the simple paper.
In “Niedersachsen” they wanted a whole pile of documents from my wife (!) to give the single certificate to me ! This “whole pile” includes pretty much of everything you would need for a marriage in Germany. Because to give ME the single certificate, they check in Niedersachsen, if I and my future wife were allowed to marry according to Taiwan law! So they needed her birth certificate, her single certificate, much more, all approved by the German representation in Taiwan. It is because Germany does not accept Taiwan authorities, that is why they simply do the work of the Taiwan authorities by themselves.

Taiwan has no Birth Certificate, so she had to get an “affidavit” (oath) which took a lot of time to get. Also the German representation in Taipei requested some papers from my wife to simply acknowledge her certificates. Her feet were sore…

Later I thought, marrying in Germany would probably be faster.

To marry in Denmark, ask the Danish marriage office, what they need. Probably a bit less.

Of course you can PM me anytime…

We got married in the US. We both had to swear that we were unmarried. Since US recognizes foreign marriages that would include any marriage in Taiwan. Please name somplace that allows someone already married to marry (besides those which allow bigamy)?

You seem to be hinting that one should overcome the obstacles by lying about being single for the second marriage and hoping that each side doesn’t find out and nullify one or both your marriages because of it. Or if it comes to it, have problems getting divorced because you married twice? I think that’s playing with fire.

[quote=“Hartzell”]I think you should try to get married in Germany first.

In other words, get all your documents together, and go to the appropriate court and try to get married.

If you run into specific problems, please continue your postings here.[/quote]

Taiwan government recognizes any legtal marriage from any country. So get married wherever you like. It doesn’t have to be in Germany, or Taiwan.

Timo, do you now the following sites already (they probably won’t help you with this very Taiwan-related question, but contain useful info on things like getting married in Denmark)?

info4alien
binational-in.de

Too bad I can’t find that hilarious forum anymore where one guy claimed all this difficulties with bringing a foreign wife to Germany were the work of German women trying to keep the competition out of the country. :wink:

Now I’m really curious. Where in Germany did you live?

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]

Now I’m really curious. Where in Germany did you live?[/quote]

Darmstadt close to Frankfurt. Being used to Taipei she was crazy. Big empty street, no Tofu, no 7-11, shops close at 8 pm … The food is a big problem. No fresh Chinese vegetables. Many foreigner experienced similar problems, as you can find here on that forum sometimes.

If things are difficult in Germany, I am certain that your best bet would be to get married in Taiwan. It is quick and easy.

If you wish to apply for residency later, having been married in another country (ie one other than Taiwan or your home country) could cause problems. This is due to the wording of regulations like you have to prove that the marriage is registered in your home country.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]If things are difficult in Germany, I am certain that your best bet would be to get married in Taiwan. It is quick and easy.

If you wish to apply for residency later, having been married in another country (ie one other than Taiwan or your home country) could cause problems. This is due to the wording of regulations like you have to prove that the marriage is registered in your home country.

Brian[/quote]

(1) well, see my post above. Germany does not accept a marriage in Taiwan as it is. They accept from HK or Cuba or anywhere and the German embassy just approves the marriage paper.
BUT not from Taiwan. Germans who are concerned could read what I posted in this thread. To get the marriage legalized by Germany causes about the same paperwork as a marriage in Germany would cause.

(2) Applying for Residency in Taiwan based on German marriage with Taiwan citizen is no problem at all. Very quick and smooth. Taiwan Representation in Germany will simply acknowledge the paper, BUT they want a family book entry of your Taiwan spouse - in your GERMAN family register. So straight after marriage in Germany, get her in the family book. This will take several weeks in Germany, but goes without any problem.

Believe me, I’ve done it.

So it is not much different where you marry, Taiwan or Germany, both ways require lots of paperwork.

Okay: to marry in Taiwan you save the “marriage visa” for Germany. Because if you want to marry a Taiwan citizen in Germany, she or he must get in on a marriage visa, not on a tourist visa. Takes 2 or 3 month to get the visa and requires paperwork again

But if you want to save those 3 month and marry in Taiwan, you will have the 3 month later when getting the “family reunion visa”. It’s bloody complicated now, so who needs to know PM me.