German tendency to sidle their past?

[quote=“bob_honest”]
Our shop keepers! Ever met them? They treat you like a criminal when you only want to buy something. Their ugly arrogant smile depicting you as a worseless insect when you even dare to ask them something![/quote]

I know how bad the restaurant waiters are. Ever been to Bad Hamburg? :unamused:

expatica.com/source/site_art … ry_id=1734

I’m going to wade into this storm.

I lived in Germany for 4 years 1980-1984, as my father was in the Canadian army. My babysitter was an old German woman who had a farm. She would show my older sister pictures of her four brothers (Waffen SS, Werhmacht, Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine). They were all killed in action. She was proud that they served and died for her country. She felt sorry about what had happened to everyone who was persecuted by Nazis, and it just wasn’t the Jews. However she left my sister with some words of wisdom…Living in the past means there’s no living in the future…doesn’t make alot of sense but hey.

Funny you never hear the Americans apologizing for their treatment of (insert country, ethnic group, race, region) and the same can be said for almost any country. Let’s get over it, it was a long time ago.

If you don’t learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it – Santayana

BTW, Americans didn’t systematically murder over 5 million people.

yadvashem.org/

Point taken.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]And in today’s news from der Vaterland:

[quote]
German jobless highest since rise of Nazis

By Tony Paterson in Berlin
03 February 2005

German unemployment has hit its highest level since the Nazis came to power, passing the historic six million mark unseen since the days of the Weimar Republic in the 1930s.[/quote]

news.independent.co.uk/business/ … ory=607260
forbes.com/business/feeds/ap … 99787.html
mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn … 635.htm?1c[/quote]

Is the UK your Vaterland?
And is it really six million? Maybe you want to check again.
But anyway that is six million possible german teachers for Taiwan.

[quote=“robi666”]
But anyway that is six million possible German teachers for Taiwan.[/quote]

robi, maybe you should enroll in an English class.

[quote=“Grasshopper”]I’m going to wade into this storm.

I lived in Germany for 4 years 1980-1984, as my father was in the Canadian army. My babysitter was an old German woman who had a farm. She would show my older sister pictures of her four brothers (Waffen SS, Werhmacht, Luftwaffe and Kreigsmarine). They were all killed in action. She was proud that they served and died for her country.[/quote]

For this reason, the relation between old and young is disturbed in Germany. Now the generation of those old people saying things like “Everything was better back then.”, “This did not happen with Adolf.”, “You should be gassed”[said to Punks or homeless people] is dying out now. Nature is mercyful with our ears sometimes :unamused: . Actually, such sentences became a kind of joke (NOT the one wis gas!) between younger people when impersonating the old generation.

But… they did not even want the Nazis back. They only did not get all Nazi-thinking out of their heads and wanted to be proud of their soldier time in WWII. Well… if nature resolves this … may they rest in peace now .
Sometimes I think they are now reborn in East-Germany (the former comunism state), when I hear young people there saying that thing. :noway: “Sometimes they come back” [Stephen King movie]

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“robi666”]
But anyway that is six million possible German teachers for Taiwan.[/quote]

robi, maybe you should enroll in an English class.[/quote]

Why would i do that. I prefer to speak chinese here. No need for me to brush up my english.

I am from East-Berlin and I totally hear you. Seriously, East-Berlin has the worst service in Germany, combine all those disgruntled sales people from GDR-times (where they were people in power, since everything but bread and cabbage was scarce) with “Berliner Schnauze” and you are in the middle of a service-KZ (I feel like catering to stereotypes today, oooh so evil! :raspberry: ).
But, hey, especially in smaller cities there can be good service, so not everything is lost. We should send all those Berlin-salespeople to the countryside for reeducation (Mao-style). That would teach them :smiley:

Yes! East German service in the DDR commie times! Oh my God! They were something between a prison guard (or worse), a sarcastic entertainer and GOD himself (or more like the devil).

I once had a scene in the “Gastmahl des Meeres” on Alexanderplatz East Berlin (Guest dish of the sea / standard name for almost all fish restuarants in old DDR), which was exactly depicted in one German comedy show of Loriot or something, but I had it years before him.

Big menu, I am ordering 1, waiter says in a bored voice looking to the ceiling: “not there”.

me: 2…
“not there”
me: 3 …
“not there”
me: 4
“not there”
me: 5
“not there”
me: 6
“not there”
me: … um … what DO you have ?
“SPROTTEN”
me: … and?
“SPROTTEN”
me: “only Sprotten?”
“YES”

Sprotten are tiny ugly fish, not even our cat would have aten. When he said “Sprotten”, his voice suddendly had this demonic sadistic sub tone.

Fred: why are we doing that? Was Goldhagen right in the end? Who knows.

Unfortuantely Goldhagen WAS right. Most Germans actively participated in the Holocaust and were not in any way forced to do so or were merely following orders.

Now, the problem is NOT that Germans are Nazis or Communists or any other ism. The problem is that they are still so stubbornly dogmatic that it does not matter what the ism is. They are just as intolerant of opposing views that do not fit in with the militant pacificism and militant environmentalism that are the new “isms” in Germany. That is the point. Yesterday the Jews. Today anyone producing garbage must be “eliminated” so that the world can remain “pure.”

“They are just as intolerant of opposing views…”

sounds like you are refering to right wing americans.

as for germans taking part in the holocoust, how do you know this? were you there? have you talked to the german people who lived at that time?
i didnt think so. if you want to know more about what german was like under the nazis i suggest you go to the nazi musem in Nurenburg. go look at some of the exhibits, watch the films. you will hear a couple old ladies talk about what it was like. better yet talk to some of the people there and ask them how they feel of having to be contantly reminded of what happend. some of the buildings the nazis created on the party grounds were kept, as a reminder to them of what happend. they werent allowed to remove them and continue on with thier lives. and now there are people like you, who figure you know everything that happend, and wont let them move on.

Dear Troy:

Do you know who Daniel Goldhagen is? Have you read his book? I think that I know a hell of a lot more about what went on in Germany during World War II than you do. Wanna try me?

Well, the Germans [i]do[/i] have a good mail service…or maybe they know something we don’t. :astonished:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote]
Post office goes by rules and delivers Hitler card

The German post office has displayed its adherence to the rulebook by delivering a card addressed “Adolf Hitler, Reichstag” to the current seat of government in Berlin.

The postcard - sent from Britain and addressed to "F

[quote=“fred smith”]Unfortuantely Goldhagen WAS right. Most Germans actively participated in the Holocaust and were not in any way forced to do so or were merely following orders.

Now, the problem is NOT that Germans are Nazis or Communists or any other ism. The problem is that they are still so stubbornly dogmatic that it does not matter what the ism is. They are just as intolerant of opposing views that do not fit in with the militant pacificism and militant environmentalism that are the new “isms” in Germany. That is the point. Yesterday the Jews. Today anyone producing garbage must be “eliminated” so that the world can remain “pure.”[/quote]

In other words “You’re either with us or against us.”

[quote=“spook”]
In other words “You’re either with us or against us.”[/quote]

:unamused:

Let us know when the American 1st SS Panzer Division rolls through the Ardennes while crushing all resistance in its drive on Paris.

Will the ‘liberation of Baghdad’ do?

Only if you live in Dimension X.

Neo-conservative myth: We liberated Iraq!

Reality: 92% of Iraqis view the U.S. as occupiers and not liberators or peace-keepers.
May 2004 CPA poll

[quote=“fred smith”]
Do you know who Daniel Goldhagen is? Have you read his book?[/quote]

Daniel Goldhagen wants to feed his family like anyone else. That’s why he wrote a book that had a catchy title and was quite provocative - so it got lots of PR and sold really well.
The fact that the book was not scientifically sound didn’t matter to but a few historians.

There you go, Fred, I am always happy to enlighten you a bit, after all the world is more than black and white, you know.