Germans Stop Train for Beer

Gotta have yer priorities…

[quote] German beer lovers rescued
Mon Aug 6, 9:53 PM ET

BERLIN - Germany’s national railway wasn’t about to risk sending a trainload of soccer fans to a German Cup match without beer.

Federal police said Monday that the beer tap failed aboard a special train carrying Bayer Leverkusen fans to Hamburg on Saturday. The fault was discovered half an hour into the journey.

“In order not to endanger the good mood” of the passengers, railway officials halted the train in Wuppertal for 25 minutes and had a replacement part delivered by taxi, a police statement said. It added that there was no trouble among the fans.

Their team was less obliging. Top-division Leverkusen’s 1-0 elimination from the cup by second-division St. Pauli in a first-round upset left its fans with plenty of sorrows to drown on the way home.
Yahoo News[/quote]

Damn, the Germans are cool.

When I was in Ireland, I was eating lunch at a pub and the pub owner started lining the whole bar with shot glasses. I was curious about what was going on, so I asked. He said," oh the damn germans are coming, they stop at every pub in each city on hte tour, have a shot and a beer, they do it all day long." I was really impressed, I wanted to be on that tour bus it sounded like fun.

Djk -
In the city of San Francisco, California, each year there is a city “marathon” race named Bay to Breakers. It winds through the city and for some it is a serious running competition, while for the majority it is an excuse to dress funny, get loaded and party.

One of the regular things to do is hit as many bars as possible as you progress the course. In one door and, if possible, out the other, while downing a drink on the fly by.

Great fun and it leads to much puking along the route. And, of course, more drinking out at the Breakers at the end.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Djk -
In the city of San Francisco, California, each year there is a city “marathon” race named Bay to Breakers. It winds through the city and for some it is a serious running competition, while for the majority it is an excuse to dress funny, get loaded and party.

One of the regular things to do is hit as many bars as possible as you progress the course. In one door and, if possible, out the other, while downing a drink on the fly by.

Great fun and it leads to much puking along the route. And, of course, more drinking out at the Breakers at the end.[/quote]

I love B2B. Can’t tell you how many injuries I’ve sustained while falling drunk, or passing out in someone’s lawn, or pissing in the public, or kissing strangers. My buddies and I create a themed chariot every year. I think the best one was the Popemobile that was photographed in the SF Chronicle. with slogans like “Drink like a [Fish symbol]” or WWJD What would Jesus Drink?

I’ve also been run over by our own chariot multiple times. We end the race with an obligatory jump into the ocean, and then have another drunken beer fest on the grassy park though now, the cops come after us and make us pour out our alcohol.

Good times. if i could remember most of it.

I’ve don B2B by:

Jogging - once
Taxi - 3 x’s - The taxi driver was a good buddy of ours.
Limo - 1 x - not really as much fun for some reason.
Motorcycle - 1 x - not fun, couldn’t drink as the operator.
And 1 or 2 other times using various methods of transport and walking.

Great times rivaling St. Patricks Day festivities in SF during the early 80’s when things were much much looser and the bars would have free limo services for tooling between the venues and free taxi rides home.

[quote=“Jack Burton”] and then have another drunken beer fest on the grassy park though now, the cops come after us and make us pour out our alcohol.
[/quote]
This is something that has confused me the longer I’ve been away from the US. For most of my adult life, I’ve lived outside of the US in Britain, Taiwan, Hong Kong and mainland China. There seemed to be no problem in any of those places with drinking a beer or five in a park, when out walking the dog around the block or whatever. Whenever we’ve been back in Tennessee, I’ve always needed reminding about not drinking beer in public.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Jack Burton”] and then have another drunken beer fest on the grassy park though now, the cops come after us and make us pour out our alcohol.
[/quote]
This is something that has confused me the longer I’ve been away from the US. For most of my adult life, I’ve lived outside of the US in Britain, Taiwan, Hong Kong and mainland China. There seemed to be no problem in any of those places with drinking a beer or five in a park, when out walking the dog around the block or whatever. Whenever we’ve been back in Tennessee, I’ve always needed reminding about not drinking beer in public.[/quote]

when people drink in HK, Taiwan in public places, they don’t get rowdy and violent and obnoxious, and break glass bottles… except for the drunk Brits and yanks. I think it’s a problem of public disorder, etc. but I’m talking worse-case scenarios which are much more extreme in the west with public drunkenness.

It’s historical. Temperance movements in the US date back to the early years of our republic, but really picked up steam in the 1840s. Local governments started to issue officials bans by the 1880s, and in 1920 the 18th Amendment to the Constitution came into effect, prohibiting the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquor. The Volstead Act and various other legislative/judicial efforts extended the law to include possession. The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment, but its section (2) allowed for local governments to continue to prohibit alcohol. Hundreds of county and city governments all over the US have maintained prohibition to a greater or lesser degree. The laws are complex. Some local governments will prohibit liquor but not beer, some will allow only low-alcohol content beers, some will ban alcohol altogether. But because the majority of America is wet, the dry localities just end up losing all the business and tax dollars the wet localities get. The transportation laws are rarely enforced (and the US Supreme Court has said that states cannot interfere with interstate alcohol commerce). A friend of mine who lived in dry county in Texas simply drove ten minutes to the county border, bought beer and liquor at the liquor store which was located just on the other side, and drove home.

Since Tennessee was a bastion of the Methodist revival, and the Methodists spearheaded the temperance movement, I’d say it’s a fair bet much of Tennessee is dry. As a Tennessean, you’ve probably heard this a million times, but a bit of trivia for our other readers: Moore County, Tennessee, where the Jack Daniels distillery is located, is a dry county.

Hey JB, next time you’re in SF you should check out the 21st Amendment Brewery, Restaurant, and Bar. Sounds like your kind of place.

Nice call. I think I know the area you’re talking about. I’ll let my friends know. I’m dying to go to a Giants game (not SFG fan though) just for the atmosphere, the beer, chilling in the seats…

Great fun and it leads to much puking along the route. And, of course, more drinking out at the Breakers at the end.[/quote]

Awesome, they used to do some pub crawls in Milwaukee but it was probably a little smaller at least distance wise. If I ever come back from Taiwan I am thinking about living in Cali and doing concept work for video games or some special effects work. If I do you can find me stumbling around SF doing my 23 beers mararthon.

and a lot of people do the whole route totally nude. Unfortunately mostly men and old women though.