Get/ Got opportunity vs obligation

This question came up with my wife today. “I get to look after Sprout today,” (an opportunity) vs “I’ve got to look after Sprout today” (obligation).

What’s the origin of the differing valence?

Nothing in particular. They’re just two different usages of “get.” A dictionary will show a fistful more.

“Get” commonly refers to receiving something favorable, “get a present” etc. I’d guess the first usage is an extension of this basic meaning. “Have got” is the more special usage.

He already knew. He just wanted to type “valence.” Which I had to Google and STILL don’t understand.

He means Holly Valence. No nudity but link may be :nsfw: Not Safe For Wives

I’ve got to get to…

to Holly?

I don’t get it Jaboney. How is the valency different? Aren’t both the “get” verbs intransitive (with one agent, i.e. you)?

to get Holly.

I have to [color=#BF0000]get[/color] holly? I guess it is [color=#BF0000]getting[/color] close to Christmas.
I [color=#BF0000]got[/color] confused but I’ll [color=#BF0000]get[/color] better soon.
:eh:

I don’t get it Jaboney. How is the valency different? Aren’t both the “get” verbs intransitive (with one agent, i.e. you)?[/quote]
I don’t know, in common usage it strikes me that “get” is most often positive, while “got” is negative.