Get ya soccer hands off my football!

HUH? now you’ve lost me! i don’t support either the arse or manu, i’m just a supporter of football. the arse have the better form going into the match but i read that manu are the slight favourites, it should be a good game. you think too much! :wink:

not you Jeff!

arsenal have much better form but havent beaten united for 27 months.
i like watching arsenal when they play good football, which they often do.
i just hope no-one gets sent off in the first half, which is very possible.

the talent on the pitch today is awesome. i’m not bitter so i can enjoy the skills
of both sides. I saw Reyes play in spain and he was breathtaking, superhuman.
Add Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes (how do people get so sick they
don’t want Scholes to do well?) Fabregas, Cole, Bergkamp and maybe maybe
Henry - wow! it’s going to be 0-0 or 8-6.

Imagine the scenario: one team dominates for the entire game. They create all the chances, they play the better football. The other team is unambitious, sits back and rides its luck. Right at the death they pop up and snatch the game in fortuitous circumstances. No, I’m not talking about Man U, but Bayern Munich and all the other teams who’ve been pipped by Man U over the years.

Now you lot know how it feels. Get used it. There’s a lot more of that on its way.

Actually, I respect Fergie, but hate the arrogance of his players and fans. They’ve been believing their hype for far too long. Let the good times roll.

As the Arsenal fans sang: U - S - A, U - S - A.

“Now you lot know how it feels. Get used it.”

You lot? Oh, you mean fans of a football team?
I apologise for being born in Manchester.

I followed the team when they lost 5-1 to Millwall and
regularly finished in the bottom half of the table.
I don’t need to get used to it.

Your point about Bayern isn’t valid. They were the better team
on that day and had more chances. But they were far less ambitious
than United. Ruud Gullit ripped in to them doing analysis for the BBC,
saying it was terrible to watch them sit back and he hoped United
would keep attacking.

This thread was about Glazer originally. Now it’s a release for bitter
people.

If your anti-United stance is so principled and logical, why don’t you
hate Chelsea? They are doing everything United ever did but on a
much larger scale in a much shorter length of time.

Very decent of you! :wink:

To get back on topic, I think it is a bit late to be moaning about the likes of Glazer. Being a PLC has helped United a lot, and they have spent the last few years developing the United brand. Pre season tours to US and Asia had little to do with football and plenty to do with flogging shirts. However being a PLC means that it is just another business and if somebody has the money to buy it and and the owners want to sell, then that’s what will happen. No right. No wrong. Just business. Being a villa boy :blush: , I can only wish that we were as attractive an investment.

One of the reasons why Man U are so despised is because of the attitude Fergie created when building his team in the late 80s and early 90s.

He was obsessed with engendering a seige mentality, and his team thrived on it. Man U didn’t lose often in the 90s, but when they did it was never their fault. Fergie blamed referees, linesmen, and the colour of the shirts, but never accepted that the fault could lie with his own team or his shortcomings. He and his team seemed to hold the officals in contempt. Remember his notorious clock watching and the scenes of his players surrounding the refs?

You’re wrong to think that anti-Man U feeling is all about bitterness and jealousy. They were disliked before they became successful. Alex Ferguson deliberately created the seige mentality to bond the team. Read his autobiography for the proof. How can anybody then be surprised when the rest of the country takes so much glee in watching their downfall?

Chelsea remain popular because Mourinho has accepted his defeats with magnanimity, something Fergie never learned to do.

so you dislike Wenger as well? i bet not. he’s as bad though.
“Oh I rabidly hate united because their manager uses psychology to help
his team win and sometimes finds it hard to accept defeat.”

whatever.

butcher - United fans never wanted a PLC. i’m not sure how much the PLC did help united. if united were just as well-managed within the structure of an ownership model like barcelona they would have had the same income without paying dividends - an extra 10,20 million a year for players or cheaper tickets.

back to the point - Glazer is bad for football. People like Glazer are bad for football.

this letter was sent to the Guardian and was signed by numerous people who care about football - including supporter’s trusts and fan clubs from SIXTEEN other teams - including Man City! If man city fans are worried about Glazer, maybe you might be able to admit that, yes, it IS a bad thing…

redissue.co.uk/news/loadnews … &id=222942

extracts for lazy people -

“The takeover of Manchester United by Malcolm Glazer should prompt a major debate about the governance of football in Britain. To allow one of the nation’s leading sporting clubs to be buffeted on the whims of the market demonstrates a failure of leadership and governance by the football authorities, Westminster and Whitehall. It is ironic that the only sporting regulatory body to investigate this takeover will be the National Football League in the US.”

“Over the past few years, the list of clubs suffering from the whims of the market has grown: Wrexham, Wimbledon, Swansea City, York City, Leicester City, Barnsley, Chesterfield. The list goes on.”

"The top 20 clubs appear to believe there’s nothing wrong with football that wouldn’t be fixed if the Premier League were in charge - this from a league whose clubs lost a total of

If Malcolm Glazer was planning to buy my club, I’d be delighted. Or would you rather be stuck with somebody like this?

The fact is, we’ve never had a Barcelona-style ownership system in British football and never will. Directors have been cashing in on fan loyalty since the beginning of football as far as I can tell.

Sports fans are the biggest mug punters on the planet, and we blindly line the pockets of people like Freddie Shepherd and Malcolm Glazer. If fans are to be treat like consumers, isn’t it time we just did the simple thing and spent our money elsewhere? I’ve refused to buy NUFC merchandise for years, because I can’t stand the thought of being Shepherd’s meal ticket. If they create a successful team I will reward them with my custom.

Football fans need to re-think their idea of loyalty. I’m hoping that Newcastle fans put their season ticket renewal forms straight in the bin. But they won’t, and this will just strengthen the present ownership’s position.

Fans have a choice. It’s about time they used it.

Come on bring back Rir Sobby Bobson!

Shepherd and Hall are terrible human beings, it’s true. At least they like football. Not much consolation, it’s true.

You’re wrong about the ownership - more and more clubs are being taken over by fans. I don’t know how many there are exactly but there’s a few. Maybe 10. The question is could it happen with a big club?

Meanwhile, for people who believe football is in rude health -

The Daily Mail reports that Glazer’s plans include the setting up of a European Super League.

'Manchester United’s new owner Malcolm Glazer is expected to initiate a fresh attempt to form a breakaway European super league.

Glazer’s ideal scenario would be a league where clubs are guaranteed involvement every year without having to qualify, similar to the American NFL in which his Tampa Bay Buccaneers compete.’

(No, United fans do not want this.)

And a lovely story about that nice Mr. Wenger, who shows Ferguson for the crude bad-tempered Scot that he is -

Alistair Campbell’s writes in The Times giving his view of the Wenger bust up with Gary Neville.

'As the teams were getting ready to start the second half of extra time, Ryan Giggs signalled to the bench that he wanted a drink. Gary Neville, a substitute, was the first to spot Giggs

[quote]But a game plan that has at its heart trying to stifle your opponents

The system Barca and Real have can be a double edged sword. A lot of time is wasted on politics and power struggles between the candidates and you can end up with people like Gaspart and Perez. Laporta has done pretty well at Barca certainly better than his predecessor Gaspart, whereas Perez’s “Galactico” policy seems to have gone pear shaped.