šŸŒž šŸŒ | Getaway Destinations from Taiwan

Other posters such as @tango42 mentioned Hokkaido early in this thread, in post #2.

Other people are contributing too.

Guy

2 Likes

Yes, that was my suggestion too. Hokkaido was the only intelligent suggestion until the OP later clarified and said they were ok with Tokyo-level heat.

It would be helpful if you gave other people who mentioned this idea before you did some credit. Fair play and all that.

Guy

1 Like

I just assumed one would have read the entire thread and therefore already have seen others suggesting Hokkaido. I was adding my vote when I initially suggested it. Didnā€™t think I needed to cite others.

Maybe OP was hoping to avoid visa issues or expenses.

The problem is countries that will let you keep extending tourist visas/stays indefinitely is not going to include Japan, Korea, or whatever. Itā€™s going to be poor countries like Philippines or Thailand (not poor but is dependent on tourists, so tend to be loose on tourist visas). But both of those countries are going to be hot unless you are in the mountains.

For me China is the easiest country to go for indefinite or long term stays, as I just need a taibaozheng, but for American citizens this will be different.

My ideal choice is Shenyang China, where I have a lot of friends, but Iā€™d have to stay in Hong Kong for 9 days to get a visa, and I donā€™t have time for that.

Iā€™d fly down to New Zealand for some coolness.

Whatā€™s the final decision?

Only 10 days left in June.

Went to Kyoto, enjoyed it. Also traveling to Nantou and Hualien later.

5 Likes

Happen to stay at a ryokan? On my bucket list.

1 Like

I didnā€™t, I will have to next time I go to Japan.

1 Like

100% RECOMMENDED staying in ryokans. Best to try for at least one night the half board, with breakfast and dinner. Usually breakfast is served in a common area, while the dinner usually is served in the rooms, each ryokan has its own policy. Then just soak in the onsen or hot bath after dinner to rest.

4 Likes

Or: if visiting the countryside in Japan, you can try to book a minshuku, the best of which are like excellent cheaper ryokan, more likely to be family run, often serving excellent country-style Japanese dinners.

Guy

4 Likes

sure, but some Japanese proficiency might be required there (even at ryokans tbh).

But yeah, countryside ā€œinnsā€ r lovely.

1 Like

What about Australia? About 18,000 NTD round trip depending on when you go.

Sure, could be a nice future destination.

Iā€™m excited about the prospect of living in Taiwan in the near future (Hopefully), and Iā€™m curious about the popular travel destinations that people from Taiwan often visit.

In the US, itā€™s common for folks to head to the Caribbean or Mexico for quick getaways. So, Iā€™m wondering, what are the equivalent hotspots for Taiwanese travelers? Is it places like Bangkok, Boracay, or Danang?

Iā€™ve never had the chance to explore these destinations, but Iā€™d love to hear where people go for fun vacations or short escapes from Taiwan. Any recommendations or travel tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Places I myself like:

1. Okinawa is a one-hour flight, good for a weekend trip. If you have more time you can check out nearby Ishigaki islands.

2. Depending on the time of year, you can find cheap flights to Vietnamā€“about 3 hours awayā€“and accommodations are much cheaper than in the US. Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh are good for the first or second trip, but now I prefer smaller, less touristy/crowded spots.

Iā€™ll let others chime in with their favorites. Not to be missed are Taiwanā€™s offshore islands like Matzu, Penghu, Orchid Island, etc. These require at least 2 to 3 days, depending on where youā€™re traveling from.

5 Likes

For vacations, most Taiwanese like to go to big cities for good food, shopping, and Instagram photos. For nice beaches and such, they usually just stay in Taiwan, but may also go to places like Bali.

Overall, Iā€™d say top destinations nearby for Taiwanese tourists are Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong. Others include China, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali, and Boracay.

1 Like

I agree with the Taiwan offshore island options. Kentingā€™s South Bay is easily acccessable. You can get direct flights to Caticlan for getting to Boracay if you want a nice beach, cheap beer and the English language. For me, these would all fit your ā€œquick getawayā€ requirement.