Getting a citizenship

Hi, I am new to this forum, am 18 this year, male and is a singapore chinese citizen planning to settle down in Taiwan, prefably the city areas like Taipei when I am around my 20s, Therefore, I am here to get some advice on how I can go about it.

My background is not very complicated, My whole family is of singaporean nationality by birth and that includes me as well, I am also schooling at the moment and will probably complete by 2013.

Questions :

How can I go about getting my citizenship there ? Is it possible for me ?
How much will I need ?
Living (How to get work, study there, accomodation etc ?)

[quote=“Javyn”]Hi, I am new to this forum, am 18 this year, male and is a Singapore chinese citizen planning to settle down in Taiwan, prefably the city areas like Taipei when I am around my 20s, Therefore, I am here to get some advice on how I can go about it.

My background is not very complicated, My whole family is of singaporean nationality by birth and that includes me as well, I am also schooling at the moment and will probably complete by 2013.

Questions :

How can I go about getting my citizenship there ? Is it possible for me ?
How much will I need ?
Living (How to get work, study there, accomodation etc ?)[/quote]

I’m in a similar situation as you. I am American born Chinese but I only hold US ctizenship.

The first is not an easy question otherwise I would have applied already. I think for Singapore citizen, you’re recognised as a foreign national and not an overseas Chinese (same case here) so you’ve have to reannouce your citizenship in order to apply for ROC citizen through naturalization.
Second question depends on how long you want to stay, I’ve spend around 45000NTD a month. You need to be more specific.

Being a male… and 20 years old, once you’ve gotten a Taiwanese citizenship, won’t you need to complete the required 18 months of Army duty??

I can’t offer any advice but, I’m curious to why you [both] want to gain Taiwanese citizenship? What is the gain or purpose? I’m just interested! For example my uncle became a Singaporean citizen but not dual… because he felt it the right thing to do for his career and future.

Singapore does not allow dual nationality. So the OP would lose his Singaporean nationality if he wanted to become an ROC citizen. Military service is another obligation but it’s only around 10 months now I think.

Singapore does not allow dual nationality. So the OP would lose his Singaporean nationality if he wanted to become an ROC citizen. Military service is another obligation but it’s only around 10 months now I think.[/quote]

Thanks Dr Spock. Just curious what is the benefit of being a ROC citizen over a Singaporean? I’m curious if it has any logical reason or if it is an emotional thing??

Singapore does not allow dual nationality. So the OP would lose his Singaporean nationality if he wanted to become an ROC citizen. Military service is another obligation but it’s only around 10 months now I think.[/quote]

Thanks Dr Spock. Just curious what is the benefit of being a ROC citizen over a Singaporean? I’m curious if it has any logical reason or if it is an emotional thing??[/quote]

Well all ROC Nationals can get the Taibaozheng which means we can live and work in China. Of course being a citizen in the country you live in opens a lot of doors to things that non citizens cannot do. For me in the USA meant being able to get much cheaper education than international students. Goes for scholarships as well.

Thanks Dr Spock. Just curious what is the benefit of being a ROC citizen over a Singaporean? I’m curious if it has any logical reason or if it is an emotional thing??[/quote]

Well all ROC Nationals can get the Taibaozheng which means we can live and work in China. Of course being a citizen in the country you live in opens a lot of doors to things that non citizens cannot do. For me in the USA meant being able to get much cheaper education than international students. Goes for scholarships as well.[/quote]

That all seems logical to me! Nice :thumbsup:

Not if he had to serve in the Singaporean Military first which all Singaporean males must do.