šŸ˜· COVID - Getting a COVID test in Taipei

Iā€™m heading to the United States soon. Before departing Taiwan, I need to get a COVID-19 test (within 3 days of my departing flight).

Where in Taipei can I get a COVID-19 test? Should I do it at a foreigner-oriented private clinic or one of the public hospitals? (I qualify for NHI but donā€™t have a card yet, should I get one ASAP?) How much should I expect it to cost at a private clinic?

My airline carrier pointed me to a site called TrustAssure, which lists options that are all public hospitals (as far as I can tell), such as this one near me.

Update: Answer:
There is an English-language doc here that lists the hospitals that do out-of-pocket COVID-19 tests around Taiwan (not just Taipei). The doc is periodically updated and the old version removed, so if the link is dead, go to this directory page and click the doc that says ā€œDesignated Hospital List for out-of-pocket COVID-19 PCR testingā€.

The AITā€™s page on Medical Assistance also contains generally useful information about receiving medical care as a foreigner in Taiwan.

Yeah you go to a major hospital and say you want a Covid 19 test, or call them first.
BTW I think you missed the Chinese New Year.

I initially misread this as ā€œforeigner-ownedā€ so I Googled it out of curiosity. I ended up at AITā€™s list of hospitals and doctors, which looks pretty sound to me

AIT has compiled a list of physicians and dentists in Taiwan for the benefit of the American community. All of the providers on this list speak English

https://www.ait.org.tw/u-s-citizen-services/doctors/

So, I would contact a clinic or hospital that is convenient to you and start inquiring there

1 Like

Per the thread @tando linked, there is an English-language doc here that lists the hospitals that do out-of-pocket COVID-19 tests in Taiwan (not just Taipei). The doc is periodically updated and the old version removed, so if the link is dead, go to this directory page and click the doc that says ā€œDesignated Hospital List for out-of-pocket COVID-19 PCR testingā€.

1 Like

My point was there is already a thread with an answer on this.

The thread has several irrelevant posts before the useful answers so I wanted to create a thread where the useful information is bubbled up to the top.

that is so for almost every thread.

1 Like

I also found this Chinese-language site to book a self-paid COVID-19 test. I will poke around on it and see if I can manage to get a booking, will also report back once Iā€™ve actually taken the test on how the process went.

The cost for a test is NT$6,000 if you go with the slow (next-day result) option :upside_down_face:

Does the US require a negative Covid test to enter now?

Yes, see this page by the US CDC.

1 Like

Wow. Glad I saw this before returning in a couple of months. I knew we needed it to enter Taiwan, but itā€™s rather ironic to need it to enter the US from Taiwan.

Cheapest test in Taipei at the moment I think is 5000 or 5500 TWD

Here is the latest hospital list from the Taiwan CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/_okJOR9WegmNO-cIiSK5zw

I got mine at Shuang Ho Hospital ā€“ next-day result for 5,800 TWD ā€“ no appointments are needed. Just arrive before 10AM on weekdays. I was in and out in 15 minutes. I highly recommend them.

Antigen testing is much cheaper: 2500-2600 TWD. Unfortunately, itā€™s only available at Tong Yen Hospital in Hsinchu and Landseed Hospital at the Taoyuan Airport.

2 Likes

Jesus. And presumably even more expensive in the US to get one to return. Iā€™ll be doing both this summer. I hope my insurance will cover it, but I doubt it.

I got mine in the US for free - check out Project Baseline.

1 Like

Information from Cathay General Hospital- åœ‹ę³°ē¶œåˆé†«é™¢

source:

1 Like

I wonder if NHI will cover the COVID test? I qualify for a NHI card since Iā€™ve been here over six months. 6,000 out of pocket is not too bad, but I enjoy navigating Taiwanese bureaucratic processes (some sort of Stockholm syndrome from previous ARC-related experiences I guess) and so Iā€™m going to apply for a card and then ask at a hospital if the test is covered.

If itā€™s a voluntary request due to going on holidays NHI doesnā€™t cover it.

2 Likes

The test is only covered if you show COVID symptoms, and a doctor requests it.

1 Like