Getting a first scooter

All right, almas john. Glad that you got your scooter back.

And thanks for the info, Wolf and Ironlady. I am hoping to join the rank of the Vespa-owners someday soon–but at the rate I’m saving money these days, it probably won’t happen until next year (d’ya think we’ll get a New Year bonus this year after SARS and all (SARS + “jingji bu jingqi” = no bonus?!))

Anyway, thanks for the info about Vespas.

My Dad had a 250cc Vespa in the sixties (but he preferred Lambrettas). Are they now available in Taiwan ?

My turn to wait for a policing miracle. I’m not sure where I left it but just popped into declare my bike missing with Yong He’s finest.

HG

Actually there is a Vespa Club in Taipei. Sounds like fun from what I’ve heard of. Do you happen to be a member ironlady? Tell us more about it

My bike got stolen and found a few days later too. the police said that they find most of them. Mine was pretty good too (though dirty, because I del;iberately never clean it or fix minor body damage).

Advice for buying a new scooter:

Get a new 4-stroke 125-150CC. If you get something near the top of the line at 60000, that’s the cost of renting for less than two years. Do it on credit and you don’t even have to pay up-front. You’ll have a real nice bike that’ll keep you well happy.

Go around lots of scooter shops and find what you like the look of. Try and persuade them to give you a test-drive. That’s hard work, but necessary, because despite what they say, they do ride differently. Then go to a dealer you trust and ask him to get that one for you.

Brian

Oh god, this is embarrassing. I really had a skinful the night it went missing.

I found the bike on Saturday not more than 5 metres from my front door.
:blush: I was on a borrowed bike and quickly checked it out then had to nip off figuring the cops would never find it in the short time I planned to be out. Sure enough, just half an hour later the Wan Hua cops call and say they’ve found my bike. However as I live in Yong He I think, tee hee, they’ve found someone else’s bike with similar plates. Get home and no bike! Next day off to see the plods and sure enough there tis.

“Strangely it was quite near your house.” “Yes, quite odd indeed” I replied. “Do you think I should trust my neighbours?”

Upshot is another impressive victory for Taiwan’s finest. They found the damned thing one week after I reported it, almost to the hour.

I’ve since heard a friend in Taichung say that bike recovery has been booming in that town of late too.

HG