Getting a landing/tourist visa after an overstay?

If a person leaves the country after overstaying a couple of weeks is it possible for them to turn around and re-enter the country just using a landing/tourist visa? Or will they be turned away and told they cannot enter as a form of punishment for overstaying?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

[quote=“browny”]If a person leaves the country after overstaying a couple of weeks is it possible for them to turn around and re-enter the country just using a landing/tourist visa? Or will they be turned away and told they cannot enter as a form of punishment for overstaying?
Thank you for any help you can provide.[/quote]

Yes you can be refused entry if you overstay. Probably there’s a good chance the person would overstay again.

It’s not a form of punishment. Most countries bar illegals from re-entering.

When showing up at the police station and paying the fine for overstaying, you will get a stamp into your passport that bans you from re entering on a landing visa for a year. Though you can leave the country and apply for a two months tourist visa and come back. thats common practice

To clarify further: You can’t leave the country without paying the fine first (it is payable at the airport police office.) - so you can’t leave the country without getting that overstay stamp in your passport.

That is true, but they may be more reluctant to issue a visitor visa when they see you have overstayed. Bear in mind that any country can refuse a visa or entry to anyone and they do not have to give a reason for doing so. Also - the overstay issue stays with you. Every time you apply for a visa for Taiwan you have to state whether you have ever overstayed in Taiwan or been deported from it. If you have, you have to explain why you overstayed and show some evidence to back up your story. I have been carrying proof that I only overstayed for one day around with me for about three years now and have been asked to show it on several occasions.

There are several other related threads in this forum. Browse around for more information.

Thank you for your replies. It seems highly unlikely that a 60-day visitor visa will be issued if you have that Overstayed stamp in your passport, especially if you have to deal with the TECO office in Bangkok. They seem to arbitrarily grant visas to some people and no visas to others - it all depends on who is working behind the counter. Oh, well.

Nah. I overstayed for about a week 2 years ago. I was barred from visa free landing for a year. I’ve had numerous 60 day visas since then.

get a new passport.

I overstayed by a few days once so when I was applying for another visitor’s visa in Bangkok, I just switched to my US passport. Had no problems. Even if you don’t have a passport from another country, surely you can just apply for a new one. My name never came up in the system that I overstayed on my Canadian passport and was now coming in on a US one.

I am not so sure about that one regarding the new passport.

A friend of mine became an overstayer when his HR dept screwed up the paperwork. He got a new passport and got a visitors visa for re-entry in it, and the new passport number matched up with his old one via the name field and they quizzed him about it. If he didn’t have the visitors visa, then he would have been in guano.

So, if you need to come back, get a visitors visa for each visit and do visa runs. Visitors visas can be issued for 180 days for the right reasons.

Overstay stamps can also worry airlines at check-in, even if they are “spent”.
Also… they can affect entry to third countries. If there’s any discretion it could run against you. I can’t remember where this happened (UK?), but I remember someone I was travelling with was quizzed about an overstay elsewhere. I think the logic is that if you’ve overstayed somewhere else, you could overstay “here”. I’ve also seen it asked on a form in respect of third countries.

I overstayed, left Taiwan, got a new passport, applied in SA for a visitor visa - was denied.

Applied in Bangkok after the ‘year ban’ was up - denied again. Chatted to the TECO Chieftain there - he said my name still had a mark against it on the records, and said I should write/call/email the NIA.

Did so (email) - as yet no response. Dumb-ass me for overstaying!

I could be banned anywhere from 2 - 5 years. Who knows… So, onto other pastures for now, unless CSB grants me a pardon :unamused: