Getting a mortgage for a foreigner possible?

Has any foreigner got a mortgage? Please only comment if you have direct experience with this. I have arc on 1 year visa for work. Thanks

Please post specific details on the banks if you have

I was just talking to @Marco about this. Maybe he can give you more insight. I’m not a foreigner but he is so he can probably tell you more from that aspect.

If you have a local guarantor, maybe.

If you are married to a Taiwanese and property is under their name - but loan can be on yours- yep.

Not married and don’t want guarantor

I was offered guarantor-free mortgage. But I was(am) not ready to talk about it until I receive my new credit card.

Some other threads might have useful information as well–could do a search for mortgage while.waiting for more current information here. For example:

No direct experience (my knowledge is with credit cards and phone accounts) but if you do a search on this site, many years ago ChinaTrust gave a guy a mortgage in his own name with no cosigner and HSBC and does as well afaik Id start there first.
Unless someone else has more direct knowledge.

I found the old Link… the guy got two offers, China trust was one and Sinopac Bank the other . However things may have changed now since 2008.

Definitely possible, albeit the interest rate might be slightly higher compared to what you got if you are a passport holder.

Is this for self use or investment? I noticed the banks are a bit stricter if you want to take out at mortgage for an investment apartment, more paperwork, lower loan amount, and in general more pain in the ass

I don’t get why you don’t want to say
What does the credit card have to do with it

Both are types of debt. I am not going to recommend a place if they deny my credit card.

3 Likes

Ya but it good about the mortgage if they approve that it is good enough for me. I don’t need a credit can you please recommend.

If they dont approve for a $30000-60000 credit card, how can you expect them to approve a $6 million house?

What they say and what they do are completely different things and I will not bring business to them until I am SURE that they treat me fairly.

Please also consider that bank policies change according to the branch, manager, phases of the moon and whether Aquarius lines up with Saturn.

7 Likes

But can’t you let me make the decision for myself. You could just give me the details if they don’t give you the credit card they would not give it to me either so you would not be giving them any business anyway

We should have a thing were all the foreigners are being discriminated against and it does not line up with Taiwan laws like foreigners being denied mortgages and everyone donates 50 bucks and then we sue them

1 Like

No. Its not about your ability to make a decision. It’s about my value to the company. They have two choices. They can treat me like a valued and important customer or they can treat me like a peasant with arrogance and pretend like they are doing me a favour.

If the latter, then No, I will not recommend.

I am firm on my decision. Please exercise patience.

1 Like

I don’t get why is more expensive for a foreigner to get a mortgage compared to a local.

If you stop paying and leave Taiwan, the bank still has the house and all the money you have paid. What are they losing Vs if a Taiwanese person stops paying?

4 Likes

The method I’ve used successfully over the years is if you get denied anything due to the foreigner excuse, make their life a pain in the butt until it’s easier to give you what you want than continue to deny you.

It sucks but it is what it is, until the relevant government agencies one day finally decide to stop the discrimination. Until then, first step contact the bank and get a manager on the line to plead your case. Don’t let them fob you off, insist on the manager.
If no success, contact the Taiwan financial services commission FSC and the Taiwan bankers association for help if you get denied. (Their websites are googlable). They tend to be helpful.

1 Like

It’s not a guarantee that foreclosed homes can cover the loan. It’s not a surprise banks see a higher risk for foreigners to just bail during rough times.

My first mortgage here was to refinance an apartment that I bought under my wife’s name with a first-time homeowner mortgage in her name at Mega Bank (first 2 years were principal only payments – or maybe it was interest only payments? I forget now)

The refinance in my name was done with HSBC and I borrowed a bit more than I needed (but was qualified for because the value of the apartment was increasing quickly). The excess from paying down the first mortgage was parked at the bank as an HSBC Premier account. I forget what HSBC called it – the cash in the account services the interest payments. That isn’t an HSBC thing, I think most banks offer the same, but you need to keep it in cash. That made sense to me back then because I had soon relocated to Shanghai, where I was able to link the Taipei account to an HSBC Premier account in Shanghai for free using their global something feature. Looking back, I don’t think I transferred a lot of money between accounts, but I remember feeling good that I could if I needed to.

That said, I became very unimpressed with HSBC service over all a few years later and wouldn’t recommend them. I even explored looking for something similar at Standard Chartered but an ex-neighbor who was working there waved me off and said it was just as much a hassle or worse. I remember ANZ bank (I think) had just bought out another bank and was aggressively offering mortgages and I wondered if I should refinance with them.

When we moved back to Taipei, we refinanced a 3rd time, and switched to a local bank (Taishin), but this time my wife’s name (property is still in her name btw). Interest rates were coming down, apartment value had peaked, we just had a kid, and it seemed to make sense to have some cash on hand even if it meant extending the mortgage.

When I got my HSBC, I was working full-time for multinational drug company, so I had the payslips to prove my paying capacity. A year later, I moved to China with that company, but that didn’t have any bearing on the mortgage.

1 Like