Getting a Multiple Entry Visa

OK, here’s the lowdown on getting a multiple entry visa. First of all, HK is loathe to issue them, you have a much better chance of getting them in your home country.

Multiple Entry visas are primarily designed to facilitate travel for business travels, so that they don’t have to go through a mountain of red tape each time they come here. If you want one of these babies, here’s the best way to go about it: Find someone who has a registered company (ACME Corp.) in your home country who is willing to ~ahem~ “hire” you. Get some name cards with company letterhead printed up with your new title “Head of Asian Purchasing”. Write a cover letter from your boss on company stationery, addressed “To Whom It May Concern”, asking involved parties to render any assitance necessary to ACME corporation’s new head of Asia Purchasing. Write a cover letter from yourself to the local head of the Taiwan Economic Multicultural Political Union of Regional Affairs (TEMPURA :smiley: ) explaining that you would like a multiple entry visa to facilitate future travel to the Republic. Enclose your name card. Have a new passport with no stamps in it enclosed. Make sure all pictures of you look clean-cut and that you could pass casual scrutiny as a businessman. Also enclose an itinerary from a travel agent showing a series of trips (business class) taking you in, out and back into the R.O.C. over a period of 60 days. This is so that they don’t give you a one-off 60 day visa. Finally, courier your application in, and enclose a money order for payment of the visa application fees, and also to have it couriered back to you. You don’t want to have some slightly suspicious clerk become overly diligent and start asking you questions that you can’t answer.

I know people who have gotten Multiple Entry visas without following every step, but I have also seen people denied Multiple Entry visas when they didn’t follow every step. I have never seen anyone denied a Multiple Entry visa who has followed every step. This even worked for the 19 year old brother of a friend who wanted to work in the local kindergartens, hadn’t graduated from university yet, and didn’t want to have the hassle of applying for a new visa every month or two in a foreign country.

The cool thing about the multiple entry visa is that once you have it, you can take a cheapie flight to HK, and transit right back to Taiwan without even clearing HK customs. Back in the old days, I used to have breakfast on Sundays at Nitti’s with my friends, go to HK, fly back to Taiwan, and then catch a movie with them in the evening. I never paid tax, didn’t have to worry about being trapped with any one employer, and I found that I would usually leave the country 3 or 4 times a year anyway for a quick vacation in Boracay or Koh Samui, so I would just work my visa trip around that. ~Sigh~ Those were the days! :slight_smile:

(Disclaimer: I do not advocate the breaking of any R.O.C. laws. Honesty is always the best policy.)

Although maoman has found the method described effective and has never known it to fail, bear in mind that obtaining a visa this way is considered fraud :frowning: . The penalty, if one is caught, can range from a simple refusal of the visa application in hand, all the way to a lifetime ban :cry: .

I think they are also tightening up on giving multiple entry visas and checking out the “company”, etc. before they issue them.

Hmm, I had no idea it was so difficult to obtain a multi-entry visa. I stumbled into one about a year ago. Here was my method (don’t try this at home, kiddies :slight_smile: :

  1. Plan and execute trip to Thailand. Make sure you FORGET to fill out a re-entry application.

  2. When you arrive back at customs and attempt to re-enter the country, request that the nice man behind the counter cancel your visa (he’ll probably do it anyway, in case you forget to ask), and issue you a two-week landing permit in its stead.

  3. Complete all appropriate paperwork to upgrade your landing permit to a one-off 60-day visa, making a minimum of three trips to the appropriate authorities in the inconveniently-located city of your choice.

  4. Repeat step 3 above, replacing “one-off 60-day visa” with “30-day visitor’s visa”.

  5. With 30-day visa in hand, book your flight to HK. Be sure to BELIEVE the nice lady behind the counter who said you could get your permanent visa same-day, and book your flight back that evening. Bonus points added if you do this during a busy holiday weekend when all other return flights are booked.

  6. Fly to HK. Apply for one-year visa. Complain loudly when they tell you you’ll have to stay over till the next morning despite what the tart in the aforementioned inconveniently-located city told you. Make a mininum of ten desparate phone calls to find a seat back next day.

  7. Return to Taiwan with your multi-entry visa in hand (or passport, whichever the case may be).

Actually, I have no idea WHY they issued me a multi-entry visa, but you know what they say about gift horses.

I was lucky enough to get a multiple entry visa for one year. I have to leave every 2 months. My question is: will customs question me when I come back into the country after leaving for only a few days? If so, what is a good thing to say?

Does having a visa mean your “home free” or are you still at risk of running into trouble?


You’re home free. Enjoy your stay in Taiwan. :smiley:

Also, you don’t have to leave for a few days. Simply take a same-day return flight to Hong Hong. You don’t even need to leave the airport.

You don’t even need to go through HK customs. You can “transit” right back to Taipei. Easy as pie.

Hey all, I have a multiple entry visa, but I overstayed by 3 days already. Can I take a midnight run to HK without a problem, too?

One note: Never, never, never trust your boss to know what is best for you. Boss to me, "no, you don’t need to leave the country. Wait for your ARC paperwork. Why you want a letter stating we are hiring you for the Police? Wait for the ARC paperwork. Multiple entry visa, no problem, you don’t need letter, wait for your ARC papers… over and over again with this sh*ite!

Now you have a problem! Go to the foreign affairs police with a plane ticket in your hand, plead mercy and ignorance that you have overstayed, and they might, just might, if you don’t rub them the wrong way, grant you a reprieve until your flight leaves.

Good luck,

They won’t. The record of your overstay is already on the police computers, and they have to fine you.

I just got my passport back with my R.O.C. multiple entry 60 day visa. I hear of the visa being ‘stamped’ as extendable or non-extendable in other posts but i have no stamp of any sort on the visa that is glued to a page in my passport. also or maybe related is the letter "P’ under remarks. Any clues? If they stamp this as extendable or non-extendable upon entry to TW is there an acceptable plea I could try before the ink hits the paper? (F.Y.I. I am American)

Then it’s extendable.

Why do you say it’s ‘multiple entry’?


On the visa under entries it says multiple :laughing: I read another thread where someone said they never heard of a multiple entry visitor visa but I checked the box where it said “multiple” on my visa application. I sent a copy of an exit ticket which is just 30 days after my arrival and wrote on the copy that it was one of many exits I plan to do while I am in TW. I also asked for my visa to be extendable and gave an exit date of 6 months from arrival on the application form.

It’s strange. There never used to be such a thing as a 60 day multiple entry visitors visa, but reports in this forum recently have mentioned it. I thought they were probably getting the terminology wrong, but it seems like it’s for real.

Anyway, back to your main point - it’s extendable unless there’s a stamp saying otherwise.


wonderful news… I have no idea where I plan to settle and have sufficient funds to explore the T.W. before settling down somewhere. If I wanted to extend the visitor visa what type of reason would they need to hear from me to do that? Or do they need a reason (from me) to extend it?

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]It’s strange. There never used to be such a thing as a 60 day multiple entry visitors visa, but reports in this forum recently have mentioned it. I thought they were probably getting the terminology wrong, but it seems like it’s for real.

Anyway, back to your main point - it’s extendable unless there’s a stamp saying otherwise.


Brian, i surprised you say that, my visas issued in 2000 were also multiple entry, each entry valid for upto 60 days, so they have been around at least for four years.

Sure there was - I used one from '95 to '98. Next best thing to an ARC

Those multiple entry visas aren’t visitors visas though are they? They’re business visas, and they’re valid for 3-5 years with multiple entries of up to 60 days at a time. I thought the OP was talking about a ‘visitors’ visa (like for purposes of tourism or study) that was valid for 60 days during which time you could come and go. If it was one of those multiple entry visitors visas that are valid for 3-5 years, why would he be worried about whether or not it is extendable?


The 5 year multiple entry visas are marked as visitor visas. They’ve been around at least 10 years, probably longer.