Getting a New Passport... Do I Need to Report it to NIA?

Title pretty much says it all, I am applying for a new passport this month. I am pretty certain that I do need to report the info change to NIA, but the real question is, how long do I have? Is there a time limit for an info change, such as the two week rule when you change your address? Any info will help, thanks.

Your forumosa profile says you’ve been in Taiwan since 2012. I presume this means you are a resident here with some kind of ID card–ARC, APRC, etc? If so, yes you do need to report this change to the NIA, once you have your new passport, to get your ID card updated and reissued with the correct info. The form is simple, the process is straightforward–nothing tricky at all. IIRC, you’ll need to bring your old passport and new passport and Taiwan ID card with you to the NIA to take care of this. I am not sure about the time limit, but I see no advantage in waiting to get this done.

Guy

Yes, of course, that’s what I mean. I have an ARC. Problem is that I’m going to be working some extremely long days for most of May between all my jobs and I am already scheduled pretty much every day from early morning to the evening starting May 2nd. I’m applying for my new passport tomorrow. I just hope that I get it by the last week of April so I can get to the immigration office ASAP. Otherwise, I basically won’t have time until the end of May to get this taken care of.

Good luck getting this done!

Guy

Just went in to the NIA today to handle this. If the lady noticed that my new passport had been issued four months prior, she didn’t mention anything, basically waved me away when I asked if that was it – not even a fee to process the new card. This was for an APRC, FWIW, for all I know things may be more stringent for you non-permies out there.

EDIT: I handled it today because I’m going to be traveling – one thing I don’t want is for papers not to match when I’m going out or coming into the country. Even in that respect though, they had me covered – she said if I had to travel while the new card was being processed, just carry my old card along with my NIA receipt.

[quote=“Lil’ Slugger”]Just went in to the NIA today to handle this. If the lady noticed that my new passport had been issued four months prior, she didn’t mention anything, basically waved me away when I asked if that was it – not even a fee to process the new card. This was for an APRC, FWIW, for all I know things may be more stringent for you non-permies out there.

EDIT: I handled it today because I’m going to be traveling – one thing I don’t want is for papers not to match when I’m going out or coming into the country. Even in that respect though, they had me covered – she said if I had to travel while the new card was being processed, just carry my old card along with my NIA receipt.[/quote]

True… The NIA receipt will get you through a lot of times. I was given one after my ARC expired along with an extension paper and re-entry permit in my passport when I took a month long gap between contracts with the same employer. They can pretty much cover you whatever you’re doing, and I’ve found that as long as you’re making an effort to follow the rules, they will do whatever they can to make it work for you.

Just went to AIT today, they said 2-3 weeks for the new passport, will be delivered to my home. Should be enough time to get to the immigration office before May. Luckily, I live pretty much across the street from the office! :sunglasses: