Getting a new UK passport

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this topic (?), but anyhoo… my UK passport is due to expire in August next year. The problem is how do I go about getting a new passport while at the same time NOT losing my old passport with visas etc in it ?

I asked at the BTCO and they said that I can apply for a new passport no problem there ( subject to lots of NT$ for courier and admin fees etc ) with the office in Hong Kong doing the paperwork BUT they would ‘confiscate’ my old passport.

I don’t want to lose several ( long term ) visas I have in the passport - suggestions ? ( I was thinking about saying I had “lost” the old one… not sure about the legal ramifications of this though ! )

I had “lost” my US passport a couple years back. When they issued me a new one it was ony good for 1 year. (Security)

The 10 year extention date was stamped into the new passport 9 months later when I reapplied and showed the “lost” passport as found.
It cost me another trip to the passport office.

The old passport had holes punched thru the barcode to invalidate it, but am still able to use the unexpired visas and ARC’s.

Seems logical the UK would proceed in a similar proceedure. They shouldn’t require you pay the money for new visas, so make a request they return them.

[quote=“scott02”]I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this topic (?), but anyhoo… my UK passport is due to expire in August next year. The problem is how do I go about getting a new passport while at the same time NOT losing my old passport with visas etc in it ?

I asked at the BTCO and they said that I can apply for a new passport no problem there ( subject to lots of NT$ for courier and admin fees etc ) with the office in Hong Kong doing the paperwork BUT they would ‘confiscate’ my old passport.

I don’t want to lose several ( long term ) visas I have in the passport - suggestions ? ( I was thinking about saying I had “lost” the old one… not sure about the legal ramifications of this though ! )[/quote]

I replaced mine a couple of years ago. I was not required to surrender the old one???

I had to show the old one in order to collect the new one. They also defaced the photo page of the old one before giving it back to me. New rules?

I was a bit worried when I replaced my passport a few years ago, so I used to travel with my new one, sans visa sticker, plus my old one with the visa but with the corner cut off. I never once had to explain the lack of a visa or produce my old passport for visa proof. (I mean, once you’ve used the visa to enter the country, the visa is stamped cancelled, anyway, isn’t it?)
However, I’m pretty sure I went to the cops and got a new re-entry sticker in my new passport. For that, they DID want to see my old passport.

I got a renewed UK passport through the BTCO last year. They sent me back my old one as well. That was essential, actually, because it has my resident visa in. When I’m travelling I travel with both.

Not necessary. Its your re-entry permit they’re looking for at immigration. Remember, your old passport is no longer a valid document, therefore the stamps, etc. inside are likewise invalid.

Not necessary. Its your re-entry permit they’re looking for at immigration. Remember, your old passport is no longer a valid document, therefore the stamps, etc. inside are likewise invalid.[/quote]
You’re quite right Sandman. On my re-entry to Taiwan early Monday morning I only had to show my current passport and ARC.