Getting a scooter license on a language student ARC

Does anyone have experience getting a scooter license while being a language student here (with a resident visa and ARC)? I’ve tried to search the forums but can’t find much information.

I’ve basically gone through all the hassle of studying here for 6 months, applying for a resident visa, then ARC, only to find out the ARC is only valid for the 3 months of your next semester that you have paid for.
And if you want to take a scooter license test your ARC apparently needs 1 yearr of validity… so I have a problem.

Anyone know the ins and outs of this? Is there a work around? Does the ARC validity go up to 1 year if I book 3 more semesters in advance? This would not be ideal but if its the only way to do it then I guess I could do it then cancel those semesters at a later date if I didn’t want to keep going. So it would be good to know what my options are, thanks for any help!

Back in 2009 the head of the school I was attending was willing to write a letter saying I was enrolled through <ARC expiration + 1 year> in order to get a scooter license.

This is not correct and an ARC isn’t required to get a licence. Although you will have to fight for your rights per usual cos… Taiwan.

You only need to be able to reside in Taiwan for 6 months, if you are enrolled for 6 months or more then you are eligible to take the test.

I did my test without an ARC but able to stay in Taiwan for 6+ months

I thought it was 6 months validity.

1. Alien Residence Certificate (ARC) with validity of over six months.

(the date of issuance to date of expiry must be over six months)

Example : date of issuance : 2004.05.05 ~ date of expiry : 2004.11.04
https://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/english/ServicesEng/LicenseEng/LicenseTest/t01.htm

This is a mis-interpretation. Documents showing the ability to reside more than 6 months is all that’s needed. Holding an ARC is not mentioned in the law as a requirement.

臺灣地區無戶籍之國民、外國人、大陸地區人民、香港或澳門居民,應檢附經許可停留或居留六個月以上之證明(件)

This is a good idea and should more than suffice

Did you do the scooter test? that link is for cars I think.