Getting a Taiwanese marriage certificate if you married abroad

Back when we got married, we did all of the official documentation in Japan, as I am British and it was next to impossible for Brits to get married in Taiwan at the time. Upon returning to Taiwan we registered our foreign marriage with my wife’s household registration office, and the details of our marriage were added to her household registration document which meant that we were then legally registered as married in Taiwan. Since we are registered as married in Taiwan, and have been for some time, does anybody know if it would be possible to get a regular Taiwanese marriage certificate too?

EDIT: I found this image on Google, and it seems to show an English version, are these available?

Mine looks exactly like the one in your attached photo. We got it at the place where your added to your wife’s household registry.

Did you marry abroad?

In Canada, but my wife went to the Taiwanese embassy in Vancouver and filled out some paperwork shit before the wedding…idk if that factors into anything?

Awesome, so we should theoretically be able to get the same document, since we married in Japan.

I’m not sure why they didn’t give us one when we first registered the foreign marriage in Taiwan.

I need to get a new household registration document anyway, so I’ll try and order one of these too.

1 Like

We had to do the same at the Taiwan office in Japan, to get proof that she wasn’t already married.

1 Like

I think so.:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Since the household registration office opens at 8:30, I won’t be able to go in the morning, so I’m going to try and go on my lunch break. Do you think they will let me get a copy of the marriage certificate if only I am there, or do they need both of us to sign? Also, do you think it’s possible to go to any household registration office or must it be the one we registered the foreign marriage at?

I’m honestly not sure about any of this :cry:. I think it has to be at the office you registered the mirage at though? We had to go to the one in my wife’s old district where her household registry was.

I wish I could be of more help.

No worries, will find out tomorrow anyway :slight_smile:

Got two copies today, took about half an hour. The font they use for the second line on the English version makes the whole document look fake, but nevermind haha.