Getting Added to Property Title

My parents want to add me to the property title of real estate they own in Taiwan. I am unfamiliar with the tax laws in Taiwan and was wondering if adding my name to the title would cause me or my parents to be liable for some sort of transfer tax or anything like that. Also, since I am not a citizen and do not have a National ID card, what sort of identification would I need to get my name added?

Most likely there will be owed taxes. And those on property transfer are high, especially if they bought the property many years ago and now it is overpriced by market value. There is not only a transfer tax but also a ‘value increase tax’. In the end the whole thing (if your parents bought the property many decades ago and now the value skyrocketed) the total amount of taxes due is almost 40% of the current estate market value.

Edit: the high (almost 40%) tax will be paid only when you sell it to a third party. So if this I a deal on inheritance etc make sure you know that when you sell it you will pay a LOT to the tax man if the property was bought long ago and now is in extremely high. Don’t jump of happiness thinking you will be rich. And also let your parents know about this.

Thanks for the response. Fortunately, it has not gone up too much and I would not be selling the property. Would adding my name be the same as a title transfer? And do you know what the rate would be for just a transfer assuming VAT was negligible?