Getting an answering machine fixed?

Does anyone know anywhere that could fix a phone/answering maching ? The little rubber band that drives the motor has snapped, it’s not worth buying a new one if I can just get the rubber band replaced. I could do it myself if I can get the rubber band. I have tried using a normal rubber band but they’re just too bendy.

You could use a software answering machine. Just plug the line into your machine, when not at home.

But I’m sure you know that. Just a suggestion.

What make is it? If you know that you can search on-line for the local service centre. I had a Sampo phone break once and had it repaired in their Jing Mei service centre.

It’s a panasonic I think. Wifey called the place where we bought it from and they said it would take 2 weeks if they send it back, for a little band, silly wifey, it’s out of guarentee anyway.

Give me a day or two and I’ll get back to you with the name and address of the Panasonic repair shop. It’s on a street under the Minquan bridge, right next to the river. Possibly Tayou Street, but I’m not sure…

Cheers, which bridge is that ? Is that the one between Sungshan airport and Neihu ? Isn’t Tesco around there somewhere ?

Another question:

The old tape on my answering machine has been used for a couple years, and I want to replace it.

However, I am wondering if it is also advisable to “clean the heads” of the insides of the answering machine? Does anyone know about this? The quality of the “recording” on my tape is pretty bad . . . . . . but I don’t think that just using a new tape will fully solve the problem.

I have my suspicions anyway, so I am wondering if anyone knows for sure if the heads need to be cleaned. On tape recorders, I hear it is sometimes necessary to clean the heads.

What should I use? What should I do?

Like most tape based systems it probably needs cleaning and perhaps demagnetizing.
Usually you can buy special tapes for both purposes.

Alternative use a Q-tip (those things you stick into your ears) and isopropanol for cleaning, but carefully as to not de-align the head(s).
For demagnetizing you can also buy a tool, looks a bit like a soldering iron / gun.

Though I suggest you just ditch the thing and buy an electronic answering machine with no moving parts.

Can you give me more information on this? It is a separate machine, that sits by the phone, and not something that connects to the computer, is that correct? After all, my computer is not on 24 hours a day seven days a week . . . . . . .

What are price ranges? What do you recommend as a good model? Which stores carry them? I live in Nei Hu, Taipei, and of course do get around the greater Taipei area.

No idea what models they do sell here and what they cost, but they are (external) answering machines storing the announcment and incoming calls digitally instead of using a tape - no need to connect them to a PC.
Price may depend on the make and the total number of calls (duration) they can store.

To get some idea click here: dealtime.com/xFN-Answering_M … rices.html

I’ve got two faxes now. I’ll sell you the spare if you can’t fix it.

Don’t know what you mean by rubber band things, but there’s a shop on Dingzhou Rd that sells the little ‘belt-drive’ things if that’s what you mean. Took me ages to find a place when I needed one for my washing machine. They have all sizes. To find it drive W along Heping W Rd, turn left on Xiamen St, then immediately left again on Dingzhou Rd and it’s right there, next to the bank.

Brian

Ok, the little tape sits on 2 spindle things that turns it around, ok ? And there is also a little motor, and connecting them is what I can best describe as a rubber band. Similar in concept to a drivebelt on a washing maching, but a lot lot smaller, that wouldn’t really fit…