Getting an ARC Extension again? (after finding and disliking a job)

Hey guys,

A little background, I worked here in Taiwan for two years in ESL. During that time I opened an online business, which has been doing quite well. After my contract finished, I extended my ARC twice, to its maximum extent (12 months). It clearly states on my ARC “no more extensions”.

With about a month left to go before I had to leave the country, I found a part-time ESL job. My new work permit and ARC should be arriving next week. However, I absolutely hate it. I don’t think I can go back to teaching English, but home is still a Coronavirus wreck.

Does anyone know if your ARC extension resets after you get a new work permit/ARC, or am I kicked out the minute I leave this new job? Thanks

Can’t answer your question, but could you sign up at a language school and get them to sponsor your ARC instead?

As far as I understand it, you need to be outside of the country in order to apply for a student visa.

1 Like

Don’t think so. Can @tando confirm?

Iirc, OP is right. Marriage or work are the only reasons you can change purpose of your ARC within Taiwan.

1 Like

Hi OP - I have been in your exact situation before. I called the NIA and confirmed that as soon as you get an ARC with work permit the job-finding ARC resets. So theoretically you could hang out for 12 months, get a work permit, immediately quit after receiving your new ARC, rinse & repeat. Of course this is dependent on the NIA actually letting you do this, but according to the law it is possible. If you’re unsure about anything you should just give the NIA a call and they’ll be able to answer your questions probably better than some rando on the internet.

You also have 14 days after your job cancels your work permit to apply for a new ARC.

3 Likes

Your 12 month extension was to find a job. You’ve found a job. So you’ll have a new ARC. Do the job for two weeks. Then quit and go and apply for the six month extension to look for another job.

I’ve done this before.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for weighing in and putting me at ease. I’ll double check with immigration on Monday. I don’t want to screw anyone over here, so I’ll help out until they find a replacement. The gig’s just not for me.

Why 2 weeks? Maybe it’s a stupid question but is there a reason you said that in particular rather than just quit immediately? Or 1 month?

Two weeks is what I did before giving one weeks notice I think. Less than two weeks is a bit weird since how would you even know the job wasn’t a goer?

1 Like