Getting ARC by investing in Taiwan (not by opening a company)

Hi guys, I can confirm now that you can definitely renew the business visa as long as you need to and get an APRC after 5 years. I renewed ours up to the third year and we are just now leaving Taiwan. If you wanted to we could’ve renewed for up to 3 more years at a time, or in this case 2 and then get the APRC when we hit 5. I kept my investments in bonds and cash including a US dollar account with my bank. I never had a job during my time in Taiwan and it’s not a requirement. They consider your job to be a business owner no matter what you’re doing with the business. There is a lot of hassles setting up and maintain the business compared to the golden visa. So if you can get the golden visaI would recommend going that way but if not the 200 K visa is a great alternative.


Sounds annoying. Yeah, that’s my main concern. Looks troublesome, and it feels like I’d be misusing the visa if I actually don’t do any business there. Not to mention the risk they’ll just become stricter with the “business” requirement midway. When I try extending the visa for example.

How was your stay in Taiwan?

Thanks for the response, Bimmerjeff and Marco.

Thanks a lot for the answer below, Bimmerjeff. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi Overflow, I wouldn’t be too worried about them changing requirements, they are pretty set in there ways LOL. Nothing seems to change! Anyway, the main setbacks are 1) you are a Business Owner, and even if you make nothing you still have to pay the higher NHI medical premium(s), which are about 3x the base premium (I paid $200USD/mo for 3 people). 2) You have to file business taxes with a CPA (8000NT/yr in my case) and save all your reciepts for this. 3) when doing any banking or immigration changes you have to bring your business papers and business chops (official stamps) every time or they won’t process your requests.

Renewing the visa is actually easy, you only have to fill out a form and show your past year’s income by bank statement. The fee is minimal, each year extension is like 1000nt/person I think.

We enjoyed our stay in Taiwan a lot, I highly recommend it! We stayed more than planned as we liked it so much. The only downsides to me are the humidity/heat, language barrier (not too bad in Taipei city), and lack of hobby options vs the US. If you really want to see the island then a car is a must, that opened a whole new world of local travel! If you just plan to stay in Taipei all the time, a car is too much hassle and $. Unless you have lots of $, then get a car anyway for the humid and rainy days! As a Business Owner there is a Car perk, you can buy a car as your business not yourself, thus you don’t need a local Driver License.


I got questions so To clarify my car comment: in Taiwan as an individual you must get a local license In order to purchase a new or used car. However, if you have a company that company can buy the car as an entity. Then you can legally drive this car under an international DL as a “driver” of the business car, like you would with a rental car. Totally legal. International DL are widely available online for about $20/yr, you just prove you have a valid DL in your home country. You can also buy one at AAA in the US before you move to Taiwan.


You would still need to get the international driver’s license stamped every 6 months at the local motor vehicle department f you want to use it longer than some months, right? Or is there also an exception to this on that visa?


Hi, Bimmerjeff. Did you hear if the 200k USD is enough to apply for an APRC, or if it requires more justification, like the 5M NTD real estate as Marco suggested?

And any good CPA to contact for the 200k USD investment visa? I remember you said your initial CPA overcharged you.

Mine doesn’t overcharge.

1 Like

Hi all, I made a business contact that was able to process the business setup for a US friend. She charged much less than I paid and used a CPA she did business with for the needed portion. My friend did some of the legwork though in Taiwan. JusRegal is the only one I know that has full service. PM me for her contact.

Re: international license when I purchased mine from one of the major online dealers I had the option to buy 1,2,3 years validity up front for tiers pricing. No local renewal is needed.

And yes the investment visa alone qualifies for the APRC in 5 years, I considered that option but decided to go back home before my kid missed all her US elementary school education.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, Bimmerjeff and Marco.

Btw @Bimmerjeff , shen_shung said setting up the 200k investment may take months. Did you have the same experience?

The investment business has no revenue requirements. They will only ask you the revenue to determine how much NHI medical you need to pay each month. And you will have to pay taxes of 20% on any revenue you make for the year, after subtracting all deductions (there are a bunch). It takes a couple months (45 days minimum) to set up and secure the visa.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer as always, Bimmerjeff.

I guess any profits from the investment fund counts as revenue in this case.

I’d assume it’s impossible to invest in USD? To avoid currency risk, like the TWD value goes lower than the minimum requirement of 200k USD.

And did you shop around, like visiting many banks and ask what they have? As you may know, there are a lot of horror stories dealing with banks on this forum.

Yes. You can declare your money in US dollars and it counts.

1 Like

I used ChangHwa Bank. Many banks won’t even set up the business visa accounts. They have a large selection of mutual fund products. The revenue is the income from your investments, correct, and also wherever you end up with as a capital gain is taxable when you sell and close your business (leave Taiwan). You don’t need to maintain the $200k, you can lose some of it on investment and spend some on business expenses, no problem. I had less than $200k left after buying my business car etc. You just can’t transfer it out of the country. And yes you can leave it in a USD CD product with like 1% interest if you want. Our biggest losses were from exchange rates, we timed it wrong by chance bringing our money into TW at the worst times and leaving cashing out at the worst times.

1 Like

Thanks for the infos, Marco and Bimmerjeff.

Oh, that’s a bummer. I thought I could just shop around and go with one of the foreign banks like DBS. Doesn’t seem the local CPA can help much in this regard, beyond the paperwork and probably pointing out obvious scams. I still need to visit the bank branches in person and ask around. Unless I misunderstood.

Yeah, I guess it’s just my wishful thinking. I thought to open the “business” bank account in USD, and just transfer the money in USD. Never doing any currency conversion. Especially based on what Bimmerjeff said here:

Multiple currency conversion is probably difficult to avoid.

1 Like

My CPA helped me set up. I also set up the company in Cathay fairly easily by myself after I left Union Bank.

1 Like

Yep. I think normal business account for an actual business is a non-problem. But I can understand why most banks would be hesitant opening one for this investment visa thing.

I think Mengta shouldn’t have an issue helping you out.

1 Like

Funny that the first result on my google search was about someone being robbed by the bank. Bank Robbed at Chang Hwa Bank

I get that it’s a fine bank, and a lot of people like it here. Just funny.

Foreign banks like Chase will not do investment visas. You have to use a govt controlled bank like CHang Hwa. Unless you have a local contact with experience in this you’ll need the CPA for guidance, unfortunately! Also I concur with the last post that you cannot avoid all exchanges because the initial deposit must be converted to TWD at receipt. However you could quickly convert it back to USD and put in a foreign USD CD product. I did that when I cashed out my bond investments a couple months prior to folding the business, as I didn’t trust the bonds in the current environment which was a great call in hindsight!


Yep. Great call. Thanks a lot for the answers.

1 Like