Getting Around Sanyi (and/or Miaoli)

Hey all,

We’d like to come up from Kaohsiung tomorrow (sat) and check out the woodcarving town of Sanyi. While we’re at it, we’d like visit the environs recommended by the folks on this site.

So I’m thinking of taking the train to Miaoli (perhaps Sanyi if possible) then renting a scooter. We’d probably be there at around 1pm on Sat. We would stay the night.

Does anyone know where to get a scooter, er, perhaps without a license, and whether it would be better to do so in Mioali and then just drive down to Sanyi? I do like countryside drives, though more than 45 minutes would be a pain if it’s a highway.

And also, if anyone knows of a place to sleep for about 1500 I’d appreciate it.

Cheers,
JR

I know there are some buses that leave Sanyi town to go to Shengxing train station. The wood carving museum and different shops are in walking distance from the train station. I don’t know about scooter rental availability in either of those towns, but I do know that Miaoli town is a good distance away from Sanyi.

There are a few places to stay in Sanyi but I don’t have any contact info. Try the tourist hotline. They are usually pretty helpful:

0800-011-765

I was in Sanyi a couple of months ago, and the buses from Sanyi to the old station, Shengxing, were not running. I don’t know why - I was there on a Sunday. I had to take a taxi ($200). The taxi driver gave me his namecard so that I could call him to get back, but I ended up walking it.

Also, on the other side of the longest tunnel you walk through, they were ripping up the old track.

[quote=“cfimages”]I was in Sanyi a couple of months ago, and the buses from Sanyi to the old station, Shengxing, were not running. I don’t know why - I was there on a Sunday. I had to take a taxi ($200). The taxi driver gave me his namecard so that I could call him to get back, but I ended up walking it.

Also, on the other side of the longest tunnel you walk through, they were ripping up the old track.[/quote]

Really? Ripping up the track? Why?

Maybe they are going to leave it as a big wide track for biking. That would be cool. Actually it was always a bit hard to walk on the track anyway though it was fun. Like being a hobo.