Getting Australian passport for new daughter

Hi everyone

In another display of Taiwan bureaucrap…

We have a new little daughter who was born here to me - an Australian - and my wife - Taiwanese.

As part of her process for getting an Oz passportt we need to register her on the household registration. My wife just called and said the houselhold register NEEDS a document FROM Australia, translated and certified by the taiwan office in Australian, that shows I have no other children??? I mean… wtf…?! wtf has this got to do with anything. Anyone else gone throught this crap? Help…

A case of congratulations and commiserations.

Best call the Oz pseudo-embassy, they’ll know the score, maybe.

HG

I can only hope someone was confused and thought that the baby was imported from Australia. I’m sure we didn’t have to go through any of that crap. I’ll ask the wife tonight.

trying acio now

god… ok, my wife is registered in a small vilage and this is the first time they had processed a foreign father’s child. so… instead of checking first what is required, they just decided to make a whole bunch of shit up to confuse and stress my wife… like she needed the added stress. i spoke to the stupid woman at the household office and told her to call say the xindian registration office and get advice (she wouldnt listen to my wifes requests to do the same)… and lo and behold, no such ceertificate is required. fucking trouble making idiots.

alls well that ends well is suppose. breath out… relax…

thx HG for for the words of congrats :slight_smile: shes a little beauty and will be the first ever female captain of the australian cricket team…

[quote=“AWOL”]alls well that ends well is suppose. breath out… relax…

thx HG for for the words of congrats :slight_smile: shes a little beauty and will be the first ever female captain of the australian cricket team…[/quote]

That’s great news, I hate mixing commiserations with congrats! It’s also excellent news for the Oz cricket team, good god, they need her now!

:laughing:

HG

hehe, she will make zoe goss look like a girl… hang on…

i got an aus citizenship and passport for my little girl about 3 months back or so… she doesn’t need to be registered in the household here - that’s only if u want a taiwanese passport (better to have two)…

i sent in the application with all the required documentation (things like birth certificate, proof of father’s australian citizenship etc.) and all went smoothly… the missus had to go to taipei to do an interview with the embassy (she’s taiwanese, but that was ok) and they called me to check that i was aware that she was applying for a passport.

no issues at all

i think it took all up about 2 weeks for the passport or so (they have to get the passport from HK i think they said)… took about 6 i think for the citizenship tho

x08… nice. we are getting taiwan passport as well. so your daughter will be allowed to live in taiwan how exactly? i mean if she doesnt have a taiwan passport how does she get an arc?

have you applied for the baby bonus?

she has both, aus and tw passport…

what baby bonus?

[quote=“x08”]she has both, aus and tw passport…

what baby bonus?[/quote]

I think it’s like buy-one-get-one-free or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry, im confused. how did she get them without having a household reg? i would do anything to avoid all these stupid hoops.

Oz govt gives AUD4,000 to all new babies.

sorry, im confused. how did she get them without having a household reg? i would do anything to avoid all these stupid hoops.
[/quote]

umm… i think she IS registered, but there weren’t any problems… the missus and bubs get back to taiwan LATE tomorrow, so i’ll ask her on thursday if u like…

[quote=“AWOL”]

Oz govt gives AUD4,000 to all new babies.[/quote]

oh that… i thought that was only for babies born in aus?? any good place to get details?

nope… there are special cases… BUT you must apply within 16 weeks of the birth

[quote=“AWOL”]x08… nice. we are getting taiwan passport as well. so your daughter will be allowed to live in taiwan how exactly? i mean if she doesnt have a taiwan passport how does she get an arc?

[/quote]

Why would she need a tw passport to live in Taiwan?

nope… there are special cases… BUT you must apply within 16 weeks of the birth[/quote]

Check the Centrelink site under Maternity Payment.
Baby doesnt need to be born in Aus but you need to register within 26 weeks.

[quote=“smithsgj”][quote=“AWOL”]x08… nice. we are getting taiwan passport as well. so your daughter will be allowed to live in taiwan how exactly? i mean if she doesnt have a taiwan passport how does she get an arc?

[/quote]

Why would she need a tw passport to live in Taiwan?[/quote]

she cant get an arc so she would need a passport

Yes, sorry, I was just feeling pedantic :smiley:

My boy has both Australian and Taiwanese.
The Taiwanese passport was easier, and I am an Single Aussie dad with sole custody of my boy and I got the passport with no need for anything from his mom. He was registered on his Taiwanese grandparents household registration, but it was no problem for me to go to the registry office and get that updated that I had sole custody of my boy and that was used to help get the passport. Actually my divorce lawyer gave me the contact details of a travel agent and the travel agent acted as a consultant and got the Taiwanese passport for me… total cost NT$2000 and two weeks…

BUT the Australian passport was a hell story… It took nearly 6 months get get his last Aussie passport renewed and I still need his mother’s permission, aso if she wanted to be a bitch, she could decide not to and then I would need to leave Taiwan before his current passport expired and I have read it is illegal for an Aussie to enter Australia on another nationalities passport. Well still got 3 more years as I will start the process a year early to counter any difficulties…

That trade office down on Keelung Rd in Taipei has got some of the most unhelpful people working in there that I have ever met in Taiwan, it is quite amusing though very frustrating when the English being used by the Australian office is causing problems for Australian citizens. The last time, I made the person go get the big boss as she couldn’t understand what I was saying, however, he fully supported his employee in rejecting the application while agreeing with me that I what I said the form said was true, but it is not what they want so they will notify the Austalian passport office that they should change the wording on the passport form…

They were also so fussy on photo sizes, I saw them reject other people due to the wrong size, by millimetres. Sure they give you the dimensions. So when I got my boy’s, I got photos made in 32mm, 34mm and 36 mm. I gave them the 34 mm pics first so if they rejected them, and if they said too big or too small, I would be covered… But they still rejected them as they said the worng colored pen was used on the back to endorse them, but that is where the form “never” said what color had to be used on the “back of the photos”.

I really am not looking forward to dealig wth them again…