Getting documents in order, possible checklist, etc. before arriving to teach English

This is my first new Topic on Forumosa. I hope I am following the correct steps.

A bit about me: I am 48 and a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. From 2012-2016, I taught English in Prague. I taught in public schools (primary, middle and high school levels), for two language schools, and private lessons. I moved back to the U.S. to assist my parents (my mother has dementia). That said, I am now planning to move to Taiwan in late December to teach English.

I have done research online, but I have several questions.

Regarding documents, is this an exhaustive list of documents I need to bring: FBI Identity History Summary (CBC), a confirmed return or onward air ticket (showing departure from Taiwan within 90 days of my arrival), my original diploma (I have a B.A. from an ACC school), my passport valid for more than 90 days from my arrival date, and my TEFL certificate? Not including the flight tickets, I have all documents in hand.

I saw a note on a website (but the way it reads maybe this is just for obtaining a APRC) that said the FBI document needs to be authenticated by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the U.S. Is this correct?

I was also doing research for Vietnam and documents for that country need to be “notarized, authenticated, and translated”. Does Taiwan require documents to be notarized, authenticated and/or translated? Is an apostle required for any documents?

I really appreciate any guidance here. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I know this is an old post but I’m about to get my documents in order and wondering how it went for you. How would I get an FBI Identity History when I’m not currently in the US?

Thanks!

My first guess would be your local consulate or embassy. Or ask the FBI if you can send a family member or friend as a proxy.

There are instructions on the AIT website. Request the FBI summary on the FBI website, Download and print the FBI fingerprint card, get fingerprinted at immigration (for a fee), mail it back to the FBI.

You can receive the results back by email which you can forward to TECRO DC for authentication + mail them a physical copy of the authentication form plus the fee for authentication + international mail fee, then have them mail it back to taiwan.

2 Likes

renewing this post to see how the process went. My fbi check arrived in Taiwan, but some are telling me I don’t need it authenticated. I went to 2 banks yesterday, and the service fees for issuing the bank draft cost more than the money I need to send. is 4-500nt the going rate, or is there another option? really dont want to give money to bankers.