Getting email directly off the hinet server

Is it possible to get hinet email via the hinet website? I’ve had a look at their site, and can’t find anything, but I might have missed something.

Actually, I don’t need to get the emails. I just need to take a look and delete the ones I definitely don’t want coming on to my PC, like ones with attachments from people I don’t know and messages like ‘Re: your software’… Yes, I can use virus software but new ones can get through can’t they?

I get my hinet email through Yahoo email. However, the emails stay on the server even after you’ve got them and deleted them (using Yahoo).
I know this because I once reached my 1000 email limit and I couldn’t get any more hinet emails. I had to resort to using Outlook to get them and delete them.

I want to avoid using Outlook, and hate messing about with other email clients like Eudora. I’d like to get by 100% using Yahoo and maybe Hotmail as a back up…
Thanks in advance for your helpful comments. :notworthy:

[I’m using Firefox browser now by the way. It rocks. Tabbed browsing…how did I ever get by without it?] :sunglasses:

[quote=“Spack”]Is it possible to get hinet email via the hinet website? I’ve had a look at their site, and can’t find anything, but I might have missed something.

Actually, I don’t need to get the emails. I just need to take a look and delete the ones I definitely don’t want coming on to my PC, like ones with attachments from people I don’t know and messages like ‘Re: your software’… Yes, I can use virus software but new ones can get through can’t they?

I get my hinet email through Yahoo email. However, the emails stay on the server even after you’ve got them and deleted them (using Yahoo).
I know this because I once reached my 1000 email limit and I couldn’t get any more hinet emails. I had to resort to using Outlook to get them and delete them.

I want to avoid using Outlook, and hate messing about with other email clients like Eudora. I’d like to get by 100% using Yahoo and maybe Hotmail as a back up…
Thanks in advance for your helpful comments. :notworthy:

[I’m using Firefox browser now by the way. It rocks. Tabbed browsing…how did I ever get by without it?] :sunglasses:[/quote]

I’m pretty confused by your post. If you’re getting email from Yahoo, then normally you log on to mail.yahoo.com with a browser. You CAN get Yahoo mail with a pop3 email client, but you have to pay US$35 a year to Yahoo for that privilege.

If you were using Linux, you could use Mailfilter to wipe out stuff you don’t want without downloading it, or pop3browser to view the headers. With Windows, I have no idea.

regards,
Robert

I had a quick look at my Yahoo account, and in the Mail Account options I have a check box for ‘Leave mail on POP server’. If this is the same for you, unchecking it should do the trick (?)

My wife does exactly what you seem to want to do – delete crap directly from the hinet server without downloading it to her computer – but her’s is one of those xxxxx@msxx.hinet.net accounts.
Why would you need to do this with a Web-based email account?

I just use www.mailwasher.net.

Using Yahoo email you can set it up to get hinet email in your yahoo inbox.
Robert, it’s free to receive POP3 email in yahoo; you have to pay if you want to send.

Sandman, how does your wife delete crap directly from the server? This is what I need to know. Thanks.

Daasgrrl, YES! I’ve found that thing you’re talking about. I think that should do the trick. :notworthy: (Sandman, I’d still be interested to know how your wife deletes directly off the server).
Thanks again.

Robert, are you Robert Storey as in ‘author of Taiwan LP’ or are you just using the name?

I’m the real one, but I no longer have anything to do with Lonely Planet. In October they will come out with a new book written by three (yes, three) people. That’s their corporate culture now - to play writers off against one another, to drill down salaries close to zero. Lonely Planet used to be a good company to work for, but over the past couple of years they’ve morphed into another Microsoft. If you knew what kind of people run that company now, you wouldn’t buy their books.

I mostly write technie stuff now, and I really enjoy it. Travel writing is far less glamorous than it sounds. Hey, did an April Fool’s joke yesterday, and also one last year, posted here if you’re interested:

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=story-af2004

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-winxp

regards,
Robert

Another thing I like about Yahoo is that you easily import your adress book from a number of e-mail accounts. It’s nice to have an on-line backup version.

Hotmail used to have pop3 support in Taiwan until about a year ago.

You can access your Hinet email via the web from anywhere in the world here: webmail0.hinet.net/

Note that I had problems reading emails in TXT format, they body of the message remains blank. HTML mails are displayed as text.

Viruses may get through but if you use a scanner on your PC that updates itself you are pretty safe. Works for me (never had a virus attacking my PC but a few got caught and quarantined/deleted). I recommend AVG Free Edition

you can use ICQ to preview and delete your pop3 email from the server
it’s saved my bacon a few times

Rascal, I use webmail.hinet.net when travelling and it’s the other way round for me - text messages are readable but not HTML messages, which stay blank.

How do you make HTML readable?

I also have trouble with email from several people from one company - webmail can’t even retrieve their mail, though it will open fine in Eudora (I usually ask them to forward their mail to hotmail, but it’s a pain).

Does anyone else have similar problems?

[quote]Rascal, I use webmail.hinet.net when travelling and it’s the other way round for me - text messages are readable but not HTML messages, which stay blank.

How do you make HTML readable?[/quote]
Ups, might be that way around. Has been a while that I have been checking via the webserver. Sorry. :notworthy:

Spack, Rascal’s link is the one my wife uses. I haven’t heard her complaining about the text/html problems Rascal mentions.