Getting Fingered at Wendy's

Most of the fast food chains will pay the $$ to shut the customers up. (or to keep them quiet) but Wendy’s, instead of getting blame, took action on this matter and did an awasome job at discoverying the truth of this scam.

Com’on, I would simply just put a fly or a bug in my soup, a finger??? ewwwwww :loco:

[quote=“MiakaW”]Most of fast food chains will pay big $$ to shut the customers up. (or to keep them quiet) but Wendy’s, instead of taking the blame, took action on this matter and did an awesome job at discoverying the truth of this scam.

[/quote]

They did an awesome job of blowing their global PR image! They shoulda paid the lady, kept her quiet, the whole thing would have been less expensive than what is going to cost them now in lost PR imagery.

Wendy’s is now the worldwide joke of finger food culture. Awesome job? No, they blew it. Pay the creep off, keek profits broiling.

Wendy’s will never recover from this.

[quote=“Cola”][quote=“MiakaW”]Most of fast food chains will pay big $$ to shut the customers up. (or to keep them quiet) but Wendy’s, instead of taking the blame, took action on this matter and did an awesome job at discoverying the truth of this scam.

[/quote]

They did an awesome job of blowing their global PR image! They shoulda paid the lady, kept her quiet, the whole thing would have been less expensive than what is going to cost them now in lost PR imagery.

Wendy’s is now the worldwide joke of finger food culture. Awesome job? No, they blew it. Pay the creep off, keek profits broiling.

Wendy’s will never recover from this.[/quote]
I agree with MiakaW. Wendy’s gave that lady the finger and I’m proud of them.

True it might have cost less to pay her off. I understand Richardm’s sentiment: it sucks for a company to have to pay off every slimy extortionist (called a “nuisance settlement”) because its cheaper than litigation and PR damage. But corporations are for-profit entities dedicated to making money for their shareholders – they’re not “supposed to” make principled stands that end up costing them money.

Still, I’m not sure that a quick settlement and limited public exposure would have been possible in this case. Once the news came out the story spread quickly and if they settled it everyone would have assumed it was Wendy’s fault. Maybe they had no choice but to fight it and prove that the lady planted the finger.

Not true. Tylenol had a similar crisis when someone put poison in their bottles, as did Jack in the Crack, when their burgers killed a few people, but I believe they’ve both recovered. Such stories gradually fade from the memory and new consumers come along that weren’t aware of the story.

Not true. Tylenol had a similar crisis when someone put poison in their bottles, as did Jack in the Crack, when their burgers killed a few people, but I believe they’ve both recovered. Such stories gradually fade from the memory and new consumers come along that weren’t aware of the story.[/quote]

I take it back then, upon re/consideration.

Maybe this will even help Wendy’s expand the Wendy’s franchise further.

Sometimes PR like this, in a jokey kind of way, via Late Night TV jokes etc, can propel a company to even greater heights. Maybe you are right.

The latest: Woman in Wendy’s Case Waives Extradition
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … y_s_finger

N.C. Man Finds Finger in Frozen Custard

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/custard_fing … NlYwNtcA–

ewww…

This thread gets me everytime. Must be the OP. I always expect something else.

I need to clean up my mind. :astonished:

The jig is up! - Wendy’s - Case solved!
msnbc.msn.com/id/7844274/

Wendy’s finger given by man to settle debt

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … endys_dc_2

This case just gets weirder and weirder.

That’s strange. All the con artist in the movies look like Selma Hayak, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, or Julia Roberts. That lady must be too ugly to get away with stuff like that.

Couple Plead Guilty in Wendy’s Finger Case

Well I guess this case is about over.

Now if only Wendy’s would come back here. :frowning:

[quote=“Josefus”]
Now if only Wendy’s would come back here. :frowning:[/quote]

Damn rights. I wouldn’t mind fingering some Chili and Cheese nachos :bravo:

[quote=“Cola”]

The sad thing, or weird thing, is that from the very beginning of this story, the news media and the Internet and the blogosphere made it sound like the woman really did find a finger in her chili, when it really did smell like a hoax from day one. Yet the damage to Wendy’s image has been done.

The headlines already went out around the world. Everyone now believes Wendy’s a dangerous place. Business is down worldwide. All because of a sick lady. Those early headline cannot be undone.

I wonder if the headline writers should have used more discretion by writing a headline like:

"Woman says she maybe might have could be mebbe found what appeared to seem like what might have been had she not had a history of mental illness and scamming other resturants in the past a finger but she’s lying and will be arrested as soon as her scam is de-scammed. "[/quote]

Next time it happens, will anything change in the way the media reports the incident? Probably not.

Update: 9 year and 12 year prison sentences for the scamsters.

[quote]A couple who planted a severed finger in a bowl of Wendy’s chili in a scheme to extort money from the fast-food chain were sentenced Wednesday to at least nine years in prison.

Anna Ayala, 40, who said she bit into the digit, was sentenced to nine years. Her husband, Jaime Plascencia, 44, who obtained the finger from a co-worker who lost it in a workplace accident, was sentenced to more than 12 years. . .

The two pleaded guilty in September to conspiracy to file a false insurance claim and attempted grand theft with damages exceeding $2.5 million.[/quote]
nytimes.com/aponline/nationa … inger.html

Nine years for fingering :bravo: I hope they don’t work in the canteen at San Quintin :laughing:

[i]SAN JOSE, Calif.

On the other hand, a trivial fine and community service for jacking off in the salad dressing. :sick:

[quote]A judge has ordered a 17-year-old to pay a $750 fine and perform 120 hours of community service for contaminating salad dressing with semen and returning it to a suburban Chicago high school’s cafeteria. . .

He admitted taking a bottle of ranch salad dressing from the school cafeteria to the bathroom and ejaculating into it, and then returning it to the cafeteria where juniors and seniors eat lunch.

Students reported Castro, and the senior was expelled from Wheaton North. There were no reported cases of illness following the incident.

Castro told police he thought of the prank after watching a movie filled with crude stunts. . .[/quote]
nytimes.com/aponline/world/A … ei=5087%0A

Oh man, you just ruined salad for me. :astonished:

Seriously though, shouldn’t this guy get some sort of jail time? I figure that would be appropriate.

I thought tampering with food was a federal crime.

always ask for your semen dressing … uh salad dressing on the side.