Getting hired; in or out of the country

Hello all,
I am an American citizen (currently living in US). I have been an engineer for 20 years with a Masters degree (10 years prior an electronics tech; also retired National Guardsman in computer shop). I have serious intentions of relocating to Taiwan; hence I will be looking for work very shortly. It would be very helpful to know if my job search should be done from the US, or are opportunities better/greater if I am “in-country” while doing so (I realize I would need a visa for a long stay). I would very much appreciate anyone who has had any experience or have some suggestions, tips on this matter. I am also fluent in Spanish, Portuguese (some Italian, Vietnamese, and French), and am at an intermediate Mandarin level. Thanks again for any input.

[quote=“toyguard”]Hello all,
I am an American citizen (currently living in US). I have been an engineer for 20 years with a Masters degree (10 years prior an electronics tech; also retired National Guardsman in computer shop). I have serious intentions of relocating to Taiwan; hence I will be looking for work very shortly. It would be very helpful to know if my job search should be done from the US, or are opportunities better/greater if I am “in-country” while doing so (I realize I would need a visa for a long stay). I would very much appreciate anyone who has had any experience or have some suggestions, tips on this matter. I am also fluent in Spanish, Portuguese (some Italian, Vietnamese, and French), and am at an intermediate Mandarin level. Thanks again for any input.[/quote]

Welcome!

There is a lot of information on these boards about coming to Taiwan and finding jobs. I recommend using the google site search to get started:

site: forumosa.com job Taiwan arriving …

This thread started by a a guy thinking of coming to Taiwan who finally arrived three years later after a detour to China offers some useful perspective.

In general, if you have to work for a Taiwanese company, it is far better to be in Taiwan while looking for a job. Taiwanese companies are notorious for not answering email (or voice messages) and, with some justification, they want you to be in the country before they start talking to you. With your background, you should be able to get an entry level job in the tech sector doing technical writing or international marketing at a Taiwan tech company. The pay is low, the hours are long, and there is very little time off. You may be able to find something better after putting a few years of hard time. Or you can teach English. The vast majority of entry level tech people and English teachers make between NT$50,000 a month and NT$100,000 per month. Usually on the lower end of that. You can’t compare these salaries to the US because your costs will be be much lower than in the US.

Ideally, you would be hired by a foreign company or, more rarely, a Taiwanese company overseas if you have skills really important to the Taiwan tech industry (like running a notebook division). Then you will be an expat making at least NT$300,000 per month with housing allowances and stock options. These jobs you find overseas.

In most cases, it’s best to come to Taiwan.

Good luck!

Thanks Feiren! Very grateful for your comments.

Also check 104.com.tw. It’s in Chinese, but you can enter key words like ‘Engineer’. If the job post comes up in English (many will), there is a good chance that they would consider a foreigner.