Getting internet through a cable line

Hello all,

I’m having some trouble finding information on getting cable internet ( i tried searching this forum but i don’t think the search engine is working right). i found something on tealit but it doesn’t give much info on the cable ISPs. If anyone could pass on some info or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

thanks

ag

[quote=“atomicgrunion”]Hello all,

I’m having some trouble finding information on getting cable internet ( I tried searching this forum but I don’t think the search engine is working right). I found something on tealit but it doesn’t give much info on the cable ISPs. If anyone could pass on some info or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

thanks

ag[/quote]You get it from the cable TV company. You have to have a cable TV line in order to have cable internet. At least, that’s how it works in Taichung.

… and in Taiwan ADSL is more reliable than cable i guess, for sure it’s faster and cheaper.

[quote=“belgian pie”]… and in Taiwan ADSL is more reliable than cable I guess, for sure it’s faster and cheaper.[/quote]Are you sure? My cable connection has been very reliable, with none of the hassles that some ADSL users seem to experience on a regular basis. There’s not even any need to “connect”. It’s always on.

As for “faster and cheaper” I’m not sure, but our cable company always has ads. on TV saying that their service is faster and cheaper than ADSL.

I have cable modem connection (NT$5,500 for a year) and I’ve never had a single outage or problem with it. Also, the company I work for has cable internet at NT$399 a month (but they don’t cover where I live). I doubt you can get ADSL cheaper than that.

we’re using 3m/640k again. speed will depend mostly on the area you live in and the quality of the cable installation in your building. i am very satisfied with the speed i am getting now which wasnt the case before in our old appartment.
cable modem is cheaper than adsl and in some cases way faster (since everyone uses adsl and since chunghwa telecom only offers crappy upload rates…).
they (ethome) now offer a free phone line (connected to the modem). calls are much cheaper than regular phone lines.

what i like about cable modem is that you call today, they’ll prolly come on monday to install the line. if you want adsl, you first need a phone line then the internet connection and note that the contract is minimum 2 years.

here is the website for cable modem; just call them, give them your address:
ethome-server.com.tw/cablehome/

[quote=“5566”]here is the website for cable modem; just call them, give them your address:
ethome-server.com.tw/cablehome/[/quote]Is that the one for Taipei City? There’s a different provider for each place. The one for Taichung City is:
lsc.net.tw/

We just got a cable modem a month or so before. It is cheaper than ADSL and it seems a bit faster but that could just be me. The cable guy actually ran a line from the pole outside (cable junction box?) and into our house. He did this because even though we have a cable line into our house, we don’t have one in the room where we have the computer so he just ran a new line.

I had cable years ago and it was a lousy service, a while after I canceled it the company stopped providing cable and switched to ADSL, now they are up again with cable … but I stick with my ADSL from chunghwa, I’m on a 8M/7**k, 5,500 NT$ a year contract. This kind of contract doesn’t guaranty 8M constantly, but at least the speeds are good.

I’ve a router after my ADSL modem, so I’m always on and never need to start up anything.

I’ve the belgian radio on all day, watch TV once in a while, and only when all the bloody kids are home, or a rainy day than the speed drops.

there are one advantage to having to connect though, you can check the firewalls making sure they are up and stuff before you can get to the internet since some spywares make use of the fact that you have no firewall. Many times you keep getting spywares after spywares cause somehow they come in without firewalls, so yea, you can like open firewalls and stuff before connecting so they dont have a chance to get you in case your firewall somehow doesnt start on bootup…

but then routers have built in firewalls already…

thanks for the feedback

i’d rather get the adsl but a roommate took off without paying a 10000NT phone bill so we lost the phone line. don’t feel like covering for him.

i’m in Kaohsiung now. would anyone know the cable internet provider here?

take care,

ag

[quote=“rahimiiii”]there are one advantage to having to connect though, you can check the firewalls making sure they are up and stuff before you can get to the internet since some spywares make use of the fact that you have no firewall. Many times you keep getting spywares after spywares cause somehow they come in without firewalls, so yea, you can like open firewalls and stuff before connecting so they dont have a chance to get you in case your firewall somehow doesnt start on bootup…

but then routers have built in firewalls already…[/quote]Well, if you are bothered about this then simply switch the cable modem to “standby” while you start the computer and check the firewall. But decent firewall software automatically boots before the internet connections are opened anyway AFAIK.

hey
another question.

I heard from someone that had a cable connection a few years ago that the downloads would come in through the cable but any uploading would go through the phone line. Is this still the case?
For reasons explained earlier i have no phone line. one of the main reasons for getting internet is to get back into the bittorrents. you kinda need to upload for that.

thanks in advance to anyone who can clue me in.

take care,

ag

i should mention for anyone in kaohsiung a cable provider is Giga. you can find them at giga.net.tw/# . all in chinese though

[quote=“atomicgrunion”]hey

I heard from someone that had a cable connection a few years ago that the downloads would come in through the cable but any uploading would go through the phone line. [/quote]

That is unposable. “someone” was smoking some good stuff. You get one or the other. not both.