Getting laidoff, how long before being deported?


My friend’s english school has recently cancelled classes and she will most likely be laidoff quite soon. I read on the other site (tealit) that the ARC can be transferred to another school, but how much time after getting fired does one have to remain in the country to find another position?

If someone gets fired Friday, do they need to be out of the country Monday? Or would they have a few weeks time to find another position in the country to be able to retain their ARC, transfer work permit, etc.


If this has already been posted in another thread that I missed, sorry and plz send me a link to it.

Unless the law has recently changed, you have 7 days to leave the country once your ARC expires.

Her ARC doesn’t actually expire for another 7 months, (according to the expiry date on the card), but does the card become nulled/voided once employment stops?

Thanks again, :notworthy:

I know this one having recently had something similiar happen. If your friend is in Taipei City, then she gets a month to transfer her ARC. The FAP will call after that and ask her to come in. They’ll give her 2 weeks to leave the country from there. They’ve become quite benevolent lately.


Kewl, a month is reasonable, that should calm my friend down a bit. Thanx Okami

Could you keep me up to date on what happens. I am in a similar situation myself. My ARC is valid until next spring but my work permit was canceled at the end of July this year. I went to the police station and was informed that they had never received the cancellation letter from the Labor Department. So my ARC is valid until they receive such letter. Now I have been going every week and they say the thing; I push my departure back each time. My multi-entry visa is valid as long as my ARC is valid. But is the work permit tied to the multi-entry visa? I will keep you posted on what happens to me as well. Maybe it can help your friend.



Are you eligible to receive some sort of compensation for getting laid off? If you are employed full-time and you lose your job through no fault of your own (i.e. you get laid off), surely the labor laws allow for a redundancy payment or whatever it is called.
I remember Sandman saying that he collected a tidy sum when he got laid off, but perhaps that’s because it was a non-teaching job. Worth looking into anyway.

A month’s salary per year of service, at least that’s what they gave me about 10 years ago.

I am likely to be laid of and have been told that it’s 1 month salary per years of service rounded up to the next number. We have been offered double that if we leave now and quietly.

My concern is also for my arc and visa. Am I to understand that I will have 1 month from the date the company informs them of my new status to leave the country or change my visa?

Is there a contract? Legally speaking, you are entitled to all salary monies remaining due to you under the contract …

There is a contract which is until May 2005. I hadn’t realised that they would be required to pay out the remaining money due on the contract. Otherwise the package seems quite fair as I have worked there almost 6 years.

My greatest concern is being able to stay in Taiwan while I look for other work. That is if work is to be found. Other concerns are my Taiwan visa and mastercards which would be a real drag to lose.

sorry i wasn’t keeping an eye on this thread, my friend found a job at another skule and got her arc transferred to her new work permit before her old one was cancelled.

Are you sure you are entitled to the money on the contract if you are laid off? What if you are a full-time employee who has like 3 yr contract and they lay you off after the first year? They would pay a lump sum of 2 yrs? seems odd… I thought Taiwan had no protections for getting laidoff…but I have no legal knowledge whatsoever.

You are entitled to severance payment if you have been working for an employer for six months or more.

I don’t know why it should seem “odd” … unless you don’t have any contract !!

But the point of my earlier posting was to say that if you do indeed have a contract then you should hold the employer to it. That is your right.

And … as has been stated in this thread many times, you should contact the local city/county Department of Labor Affairs for assistance in getting this type of matter straightened out.