Getting lighter rollers

I have read online that getting lighter rollers will increase the accelleration on your bike. I am interested in doing this on my bike but am unsure of what weight to go with. I drive a Yamaha Breeze 125cc and everything on it is stock with the exception of the suspension.

So what I what to know is what weight should I go with if I do decide to go with this.

stare

Best is to open your tranny and see what’s in it now. If it’s stock, I’d say going about 2-3 gm lighter will make a big difference. I had to change my weights 3 times to find the ones that best suit my driving style. The Yamaha BWS are sold with 11gm weights. I use 6 gm on mine and the bike is a lot faster. Two problems though, the bike burns a lot more in gas and the weight bearings wear down within two months. I just bought higher quality ones and I’m hoping they’ll last longer this time.

bobepine

A stiffer clutch spring will also give you faster acceleration off of the start.

The spring holds the clutch away from the transmission…and when the rpms rise the two come together and the scooter moves.

With a firmer spring the scooter will need higher rpms before the two engage…giving you a quicker start.

I’m not 100% on my description…but the gist of it is right. A stiffer spring will give you faster starts due to higher rpms needed to make the scooter move.

I have seen clutch springs and rollers in performance shops, and would like to get them installed. What manufacturer do you guys recommend? I would like something that is very good quality. Also what effect, does it have on your scooter, when the weight of the rollers wear down.

Thanks
stare

[quote=“stare”]I have seen clutch springs and rollers in performance shops, and would like to get them installed. What manufacturer do you guys recommend? I would like something that is very good quality. Also what effect, does it have on your scooter, when the weight of the rollers wear down.

Thanks
stare[/quote]

Hi stare,

I recommend the brand “KOSO” for the weight rollers. Yamaha’s suck, they wear down too fast. I also recommend changing the rollers first. Do NOT change both the rollers and the spring at once, it becomes too difficult to know what’s doing what. Change the rollers and try the bike. If the bike is slow for the fist couple meters when you take off, then you can consider upgrading your spring. Mordeth is right when he explains how the clutch works. That’s why springs are marked with a RPM rating. I’m guessing your bike needs 1500RPM, maybe a little more like 1700RPM.

Springs are more money than rollers so do that first and test drive the bike that way you’ll know the effect each part has on your bike’s performance.

When the rollers wear down, they lose their round shape and they can get stuck behind the pulley. When that happens, it’s like being stuck in high gear, the bike loses all acceleration at low speed. The bike feels broken basically. Easy to tell when the rollers are worn down drastically. At first, you’ll occasionally notice a lack of power when accelerating. As the bearings wear down even more, the symptoms become more frequent.

Hope that helps, let us know how it works for you.

bobepine