Getting Married in a Third Country

Just hypothetically speaking, of course, if I as a British citizen decided to get married to a Taiwanese girl in Australia would there be any particular legal considerations? Would the certificate be valid in Taiwan and the UK for immigration purposes? How many other people have got married to a Taiwanese in a third country and then moved back to Taiwan and/or gone to yet another country together? Hypothetically speaking.

You got her pregnant didn’t you!

One important issue to bear in mind is that many countries require a minimum period of residence from either one or both parties prior to marriage. Singapore, for example, stipulates that one party must be in the country for fifteen days continuously before the wedding (so flying in for the ceremony is not an option). One reason Mrs Taffy and I decided on Hong Kong was the fact that we only had to show up a couple of days before, and both the ROC and UK governments recognise the document.

I don’t know if a residence requirement exists for Australia, but it’s worth checking. I should imagine that recognition of a marriage held there would not be a problem in either Taiwan or the UK.

Also if you have a wedding in a third country you must get the certificate authenticated by the ROC representative office in that country, or it will not be accepted by authorities here.

Hypothetically speaking, good luck to yourself and the potential Mrs Llary!

TycOOn wrote: [quote]You got her pregnant didn’t you![/quote]

Well, this is one of the dangers of same-species sex.

Well, this is one of the dangers of same-species sex.[/quote]

Which explains why New Zealand’s population has been shrinking over time. If it wasn’t for Shane Warne’s cricket tours in which he impregnates half of your women folk, you’d have no-one left!

[quote=“Taffy”]One important issue to bear in mind is that many countries require a minimum period of residence from either one or both parties prior to marriage. Singapore, for example, stipulates that one party must be in the country for fifteen days continuously before the wedding (so flying in for the ceremony is not an option). One reason Mrs Taffy and I decided on Hong Kong was the fact that we only had to show up a couple of days before, and both the ROC and UK governments recognise the document.

I don’t know if a residence requirement exists for Australia, but it’s worth checking. I should imagine that recognition of a marriage held there would not be a problem in either Taiwan or the UK.

Also if you have a wedding in a third country you must get the certificate authenticated by the ROC representative office in that country, or it will not be accepted by authorities here.

Hypothetically speaking, good luck to yourself and the potential Mrs Llary![/quote]

Hypothetically speaking, thanks :slight_smile: I hypothetically checked the law in Ozland and there are no residency requirements. Apparently the only thing they need for foreign residents are each person’s passport or birth certificate, an intention to marry form and one of those marrying dudes to actually sign the documents. But as long as the certificate is authenticated it’s all stations go back in Taiwan or elsewhere, right?

Sounds like it’s game on for Taiwan. Not sure about the “or elsewhere” though - you’d have to check with the relevant authorities in elsewhereland as to what sort of authentification process they require.

Hypothetical congrats, llary! :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be possible to get married at the UK embassy or consulate?
-I know a lot of my countrymen travel to another country, like France, to get married abroad, and our embassy handle the formalities/documentation.