Getting Married In Taiwan (not HK) WITHOUT leaving the country (Letter of No Trace)

As a Brit who just married a Taiwanese in Taiwan, I can confirm that the information from the original poster is correct although with some minor corrections.

Forget the trouble of going back to the UK or even taking a trip to HK and get married hassle-free in Taiwan instead.

Here is the process I went through step-by-step:

NOTES:

• I’m from Scotland so for some steps below you need to contact the offices in your country
  • My mum who lives in Glasgow was a big help with getting documents ready but I could have done it all from Taiwan
  • My wife’s Household registration office is in Taoyuan. Please check with your partner’s office for specific requirements
  1. I emailed the General Register Office for Scotland (GROS) and asked them for a “Letter of Single Status.” The fee for the letter is GBP5 for every 5 years or part of 5 years searched from age 16. I’m now 31 so this letter cost GBP20. To pay, I called them and provided my debit card details.

The letter arrived within a couple of days at my Mum’s house in Glasgow. The letter is stamped by an official from the GRO so you DO NOT need to get this letter notarized.

1. The letter now goes to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK to be legalised. You need to pay GBP30 online first of all. Then download, fill in and post the application form. For free postage, my mum also sent a stamped self-addressed envelope.

Again, the letter arrived within a few days.

1. The letter, complete with Apostille on the back now goes to the Taipei Representative Office (TRO) in the U.K. to be authenticated for use in Taiwan. Anyone from the Isle of Man, the North of England (Durham and Cumbria and above), and Scotland should be send to the Edinburgh office for authentication.

What to send: Letter of Single Status and photocopy of both front and back, application form, copy of passport, stamped self-addressed envelope, and GBP10. (5 pages altogether plus payment and SAE). You DO NOT need to send translated documents.

1. The letter now has 3 stamps and looks mighty impressive. My wife translated the document by herself, making sure to type the correct dates and keep the same layout including header and footer. No need to translate stamps or Apostille.

She took the original and translated documents (paper and digital versions (for possible revisions)) to be notarized by a public notary nearby for NTD750. Just Google public notaries near your house.

1. The final thing I had to prepare was a document to declare I will adopt a Chinese name. You can find examples online and they even have one at the Household registration office if you don’t prepare one beforehand.

2. On my wife’s side, she prepared her ID card, ID-sized photo, stamp, household registration book.

3. The last document is the marriage application form. You can find plenty of examples online. You, your partner, and two witnesses need to complete and stamp this form but the witnesses don’t need to go with you to the Household registration office.

4. Up to now, this took about a month and wasn’t hard. Just time-consuming. On 31/12/2013, we took all the documents to the Taoyuan Household Registration Office and took a number. There were no issues at the desk except that the clerk had trouble connecting my “General Register Office for Scotland” letter with my UK passport. After a quick geography lesson, he was happy to just write 英國. We asked for 2 Chinese and 2 English Marriage Certificates for a total cost of NTD450 and our marriage was official.

There you have it. No need to use a notary in the UK, no need to go to MOFA, no need to go to court. Total cost GBP60 + NTD1200 (plus a day trip to Taoyuan). Of course, it would take a bit longer and cost a little more if I did it all from Taiwan myself so it’s good if you have someone in the UK to help.

2 Likes