Getting Married - translation of documents

Hope you can assist.

I just went to a local office to register my marriage. Am a foreigner getting married to a Taiwanese.

Documents I brought were:

1. Proof of single status
  2. Police certificate
  3. The usual identifying docs (ARC, passport). Hu

Documents 1 & 2 are in English.

At the office I was told I should have these translated into Chinese.

My question is: is this a normal requirement? Because I never came across this in all my preparatory research.
If it is, what is an acceptable and convenient translation process?
If not, what options can I pursue (besides throwing a tantrum)?

Assistance appreciated.

I thought English doccuments don’t need to be translated, but the page below says you need Chinese translation.

Taipei City Government: FAQ

How are marriages between R.O.C. citizens and foreigners registered?

http://english.ca.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=EB3C54A9CB51087C&sms=5B794C46F3CDE718&s=CE063C5CD4357F7D

2 Likes

Thanks.

For us it was enough to translate the documents by ourselves. Then bring it to a certified translator who would check on it and stamp it as a valid translation.

We brought in the usb stick with the doc file, so it can be easily modified and print out new copy if needed.

Find out where you can get a certified translation from and ask there if it can be done this way. Should be much cheaper.

3 Likes

Appreciated.

If you ask at the Taipei District Court, they’ll send you to the Xindian branch. (Print out your own application form to save the $2 fee they don’t give you a receipt for.)

Just a side note.

For my wife and myself, registering our marriage in both the UK and in Taiwan.
in addition to translations of all needed documents into each language, they also had to be notarised and legalised. It was easier to get all this done first then as @slawa said we translated them ourselves and got them certified.

congratulations to you and your partner,
(no point throwing a tantrum at bureaucracy, as you will just get hit with more bureaucracy)

1 Like

Thanks, I almost threw a tantrum (I know better, but still felt like it). We had phoned them mupltiple times just to make sure we had the correct documentation before making an appointment.

I later asked my partner why they kept smiling nicely to a bureaucrat who is being petty (since they did not notify us of the necessity beforehand).

But, yes, I agree, bureaucracy has its own powerful rationale.