Getting out of Army Service

hey slin,

thought it was funny that your sn is kinda close to my real name (first name starts w/ s, last name lin). anyways, yes i’ve heard about some old-timer military stories. some are physically unsafe, others are just tasks that keep you occupied (like counting the number of ants on an ant hill).
but nowadays it depends on where you get placed. someone i know got off easy and is a chauffeur for military officials (so all he does is drive around in a nice car). another friend got off relatively easy, and all he really does is get up early in the morning and wash planes, and do some taiwan airforce drills. I hear you get it pretty rough if you get placed in the army and gotta train in one of their mountain bases.
anywho, i plan on just leaving every 4 months to avoid all that work :laughing:

If you read Poagao’s book, you will get a good grip on how it is to spend 18 months or so in a mountain base.

Boring, if you ask me.

Oh well, he did his time, I can olny respect him for that.

In 1965 when I was stationed in Taiwan I went over to the Chinese side of the base with my boss to take care of some business. I waited outside while he went in to take care of the business. From where I was waiting, I could see part of the obstacle course, esp a wood wall. A new draftee was trying to get over the wall and couldn’t. When he failed, the Chinese army NCO would smack him around some then make him try again. This went on and on (We were warned not to interfere with the Chinese way of doing things). I was so glad when my boss came out and I could get out of there! The kid was fat and weak so he was most likely a rich mans kid.

From a first-hand source that I trust, I was told of abuse under the guise of punishment. Junior enlisted people, well beyond basic training, may received severe punishment for minor infractions, including guanxi missteps. That might include head shaving and solitary confinement.

No links or other details to provide. Take it for what it’s worth.

This thread is hilarious… :bravo:

I saw a few guys get their heads shaved and incarcerated for infractions during my 22 months up in Miaoli (the two months of bootcamp were a different story-much more strict). A couple got caught helping themselves to stuff they thought nobody else wanted after Typhoon Herb during cleanup operations. Most of the others went AWOL in some form or another. I nearly got in a lot of trouble just rubbing a senior soldier’s head in jest one time, and of course if you were a rookie the “older” soldiers would rouse you after taps for various “physical training” like pushups with your feet on the top bunk and frog hopping. It was definitely not a wise thing to piss off guys who were in their last 6 months of service. I was in the guard company, where they dumped all the soldiers who didn’t have any writing or technical skills, plus all of the guys who had just returned from military prison and the gangsters, probably because they tended to be the most suitable guards as long as you kept them on a tight leash.

Granted, this was in the mid 90’s, so things may have changed. I doubt they’ve changed that much, though.

I have a friend in the army who spends 8 hours a day picking onions for a local farm.
Madness.

Wow. Imagine that, having to do physically unsafe things in the army! I’ll bet next week, someone will post about ROC soldiers having to do crazy things like handling loaded weapons.

Wow. Imagine that, having to do physically unsafe things in the army! I’ll bet next week, someone will post about ROC soldiers having to do crazy things like handling loaded weapons.[/quote]

Notice the “unreasonable” part. And I don’t consider handling loaded weapons to be unsfe, as long as you have training.

Anyways, for some reason when my father told me “unsafe and unreasonable” tasks I had the mental image of a bunch of senior officers standing around a new recruit and pounding him with bamboo sticks, kinda like that one scene in Kung Pow. :laughing:

My father was stationed in one of the two small islands right off the (Qiaomoy and Ching Men I think they’re called?) coast of China rather then the mainland of Taiwan. Maybe the training there was more brutal.

Interesting.

I’ll be up for military service in a couple months. Word has it that I’ll get the “two weeks of Tee Dai Yi”, which equates to directing traffic in front of a school, answering a phone, or whatever. My lower-left leg is 304 stainless steel–Made In Taiwan–after a motorcycle crash in 1999.

Maybe my military service is ridiculous, but I’ll be proud to have completed what is required of me now that I’m a citizen of Taiwan. Whatever I’m asked to do, I’ll do my best.

[quote=“coolingtower”]Interesting.

Maybe my military service is ridiculous, but I’ll be proud to have completed what is required of me now that I’m a citizen of Taiwan. Whatever I’m asked to do, I’ll do my best.[/quote]

Good on u. U r much better than those with proper body and mind but avoid the service.

1760T senior

fa14,

Thanks!!!

I noticed that at the bottom of your post you wrote “1760T senior”. Is that a military code of some kind? I imagine it’s not “secret” if you posted it.

What does that mean? Just curious.

There are two "T"s a month. It’s basically a number designating when you went in (if you’re doing normal service) and is the basis of a whole rookie/senior system in the army. When fa14 says he’s 1760T, that means he’s senior to anyone with a higher number, because they entered the service later than he did. In this case, fa14 has to call me “senior” (學長) because my T number is lower than his.

Hey, senior Poagao, I saw u took some pix while u were in the military services. That’s illegal action and would put me in the military prison in my unit. You are “older” than me but u can did that, I thought your unit must be relaxed, huh? ha ha

Fa14, I had official permission, but thanks for your concern. Of course it was relaxed; we just sat around the pool sipping little drinks with umbrellas with them. On particularly rough days we would visit the spa and verbally abuse the Help.

[Off topic] All of these army stories begs the question: is the ROC military ready to fend off a PRC invasion?

Or is the PRC ready to invade Taiwan. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Or is the PRC ready to invade Taiwan. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

The naswer to both probably being NO. :laughing:

side question I am ABC and I just got Taiwan citizenship, I believe that you have 3 times to go exceeding 4 months of staying in Taiwan but after 3 times you will be drafted. My question is just how many days pass the 4 months counts as one strike. I am thinking about using 1 out of the 3 strikes allowed. Any know the detail on this? thanks in advance!!

From what I know (do check with others) you can use the ‘get out every four months’ trick indefinitely, or at least for years, but you don’t have any strikes. The minute you’re even one day too late in getting out of the country, you get drafted (or they don’t let you out of the country anymore and then you get drafted later). One friend of mine with dual citizenship stayed in Taiwan for years, always making sure he went abroad a few days before every four-month period ended, because if the plane was delayed because of a typhoon or something, he would be in trouble.