Is "begpacking" legal? (not general discussion)

To be honest I was wondering if I’d have to beg herel But that was out of a necesssity of not receiving my scholarship as soon as I thought I would have not receiving it. In my more dpressed times I was thinking I’d have to give up and beg on the streets, but htat was because I was too proud to ask my parents for money

1 Like

Hugging people for cash . That’s a bit weird.

Taiwan makes is very easy to work and reside compared to most countries What isn’t easy is citizenship and getting a local ID.

I hadn’t heard of this, and looked it up. The phenomenon first attracted public attention a year or so ago in Thailand, and spread to other SE Asian countries. Besides Thailand, Hong Kong is the other country accounting for most of the media coverage. I have the impression that there has been an anti-begpacking backlash in both countries, which could explain why they are turning up here. (Thai customs has apparently been demanding to see proof of sufficient funds.)

The phenomenon is more or less defined as something done by young white people. It has been noticed that many (though by no means all, and possibly not even most–it’s not clear, at least to me) are from countries like Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus. One version involves the begpackers claiming to have been robbed / lost tickets / etc. and wanting money to get home. Another version admits that they are raising money to continue their trip–often by offering postcards, trinkets, or hugs in exchange for a “donation”. I suppose it is a natural mutation of the backpacking / hostelling / English-teaching / busking subcultures. In recent years a number of these people have taken to raising money online, through sites like GoFundMe.

2 Likes

so can we call the police on them like if we see an illegally parked car?

Anyone can report illegal foreign workers to the police and (if successful) claim a reward.

Are these people working? It depends on the details.

Okay, this is epic.
How much of a reward are we talking about?

1 Like

Not an epic reward, maybe something like $5k. It’s on a government website somewhere.

5000 NT and some schadenfreude? Hot damn!

1 Like

Also, I seem to recall it depends on how many illegal aliens are captured as a result of the informant’s intelligence.

Even 500$ is epic for me.

2 Likes

Holy crap, that’s a goldmine, why are people keeping this secret??? That’s so selfish!

LET DEM SHEKELS FLOW, time to pay a visit to all the fisheries in Yilan.

2 Likes

All it needs is a couple of them being arrested and deported back to their country of origin and bared from re-entry. The media here would have a field day, it would be all over every news outlet for weeks. It would then be flagged as a place to avoid for beg-packing.

To counter any negative publicity to the hardworking visitors / immigrants / transient workers who are here legitimately, it would be good if the used something along the lines of “The authorities acted upon information given to them by the local expat community”. :smiley:

3 Likes

This sounds like it would be quite the encounter with immigration officers.

Guy

With no means to pay for a ticket, all property would be confiscated in lieu of payment.
i just assumed the clothes would be included :wink:

3 Likes

wow, does that weird guy with his illegal wai guo ren hunting facebook know about this? we could give him something to do so he isn’t such a nuisance to society.

3 Likes

Actually, the cost for deportation is absorbed by the embassy. The debt is transferred to that cuntry’s tax department.

Mr. Satellite TV, who brags about how his company pays him dividends and he’s ‘poor’ on paper.

I didn’t know that…so when people act like lunatics just to get a free ticket back home, it’s paid by their country of origin?

I’m not sure if this is the case. My South African mate got deported for an overstay and they took him to his apartment to get his credit card.