Is "begpacking" legal? (not general discussion)

I wonder if they’d let you smack them in the face for a small donation. Win win!

6 Likes

YIKES! I seriously hope I never run into these people. :hot_face:

bottom feeders! and look in the pot. some people are actually giving them money. what about the actual homeless people just a 10 mins walk away in long shan temple station? i’m sure they are more in need of some free money than these shameless lowlifes.

5 Likes

I saw a couple of Westerners and what looked like a local or ABC playing music together. They had an amp set up, bongos and a didgeridoo.
They were noisy and it was on Tingzhuo road in Gonguan. I was surprised the local businesses were putting up with it.
Should have taken a photo.

and called the cops… if they were begpacker looking at least. i don’t wanna hate on every busker. some are quite professional.

1 Like

Disgusting.

I would call the cops on the hug me crowd. Would love them to open their eyes and find themselves face to face with one of our bulky cops.

Buskers I wouldn’t call the cops on them. At least they are doing something. But if they are being disruptive, yeah.

This is the couple I saw over a month ago, so they’re obviously not just tourists. Next time I’m there I will call the police.

1 Like

Buskers are alright by me, especially if they can actually play. Beggars …Nope .

Probably here on tourist visa.

Is it the same number to call on a busker or beggar as it is to call about someone parking illegal, having a domestic disturbance, or shooting a gun?

And aren’t there now some busker licenses available that makes someone legit?

I saw the guy last week in ximending for the second time, and I saw the girl yesterday, both still begging here a month later… standing 12ft away from one of those disabled chewing gum/tissue vendors.

Has anyone actually tried to go to the police station nearby and talk to them about it?

1 Like

Ah, no.

I might go to the police station tonight if I see them again.

Aside from explaining that they’ve been here begging for 1 month, are there any actual laws to mention? I read up through the thread but it didn’t seem like anything concrete.

1 Like

calling the cops on them would probably be enough of a scare to get them to bog off regardless of whether the police do anything.

Wasn’t it in the news yesterday that roughly 2000 people that entered Taiwan just “disappeared” and overstayed? If these people have been doing the begging thing so often and for so long i’d be surprised if they were here on a proper visa.

Time to contact the immigration and cash in that sweet money!!!

2 posts were split to a new topic: My ancestors fought for my right to do this!

No but temptation is increasing. Seriously, is it bad juju or justice? I really belie in my heart what they are doing is wrong but on the other hand we are all fellow travelers. However, I am from a 4th world country and I pay for my tickets out of my own pocket.

being a traveller comes with being responsible for yourself and not leeching off those less fortunate and less well off than yourself. those guys are begging in the same district with most of the homeless in taipei. its total snowflakeism.

2 Likes

Can you say Creepy?