Getting ROC Citizenship

Just wanting to make sure.

Both of my parents are Taiwanese citizens. They were born in TW and moved to the USA over 40 years ago. I was born in the USA, so I have US citizenship. Now I am thinking about getting Taiwanese citizenship. From what I have been reading, it should be no problem because my parents are ROC nationals (and US citizens too), correct?

Also,

1. I’m 39 years old, will I need to join the military?
  2. Will I need to give up my US citizenship?
  3. What are the procedures or links to find out the process to do this?

Thanks!!

[quote=“hilbertspace”]Just wanting to make sure.

Both of my parents are Taiwanese citizens. They were born in TW and moved to the USA over 40 years ago. I was born in the USA, so I have US citizenship. Now I am thinking about getting Taiwanese citizenship. From what I have been reading, it should be no problem because my parents are ROC nationals (and US citizens too), correct?

Also,

Thanks!![/quote]

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. Don’t know

I am likely your parents’ age and situation just like them. I immigrated to US 30 years ago and kept 2 citizenship. My 2 kids were born in US. I went to local Teco office (Taipei Economic Cultural Office) and applied for their Taiwan passports before they both reached 20 years of age.

I was told that their next step is to enter Taiwan with their Taiwan passport, then go to local Household Office to establish Hu-Ko and ID, under my residence in Taiwan. They have not done that yet. I mainly acquired passports for them as an extra option for them, if they choose to go to Taiwan in the future for any reason. They may choose just to stay in US and never utilize their Taiwan passport, which is fine for me too.

So, for you, I would suggest you call or visit your local Teco office. They are in general very nice, and very helpful and will answer all your questions. Good luck.

[quote=“hilbertspace”]Just wanting to make sure.

Also,

Thanks!![/quote]

I assume you were born before 198X. Hence, if your parents were married at the time of birth, your father a ROC national at the time of birth, you already have ROC nationality regardless of whether you hold a ROC passport or ID card in your hand.

ROC law follows the ius sanguinis doctrine, meaning that you are a citizen due to ancestry. Applying for a passport or other certificate is of a purely declaratory nature.