Getting Taiwanese Dual Citizenship if Australian...and not Fifieldt - If Canadian, I Need Your Help

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/become-citizen-again#Eligibility

If you renounced your Australian Citizenship to avoid hardship… *coughavoiddiscriminationintaiwancough

You might be able to get it back fairly quickly and easily. Any Australians familiar with this? Perhaps call an Immigration Lawyer to see if you can do this.

Secondly, I’m trying to get my complaints about not being able to resume Canadian Citizenship easily heard by the minister in charge. If you’re Canadian… I need your help pushing your MP’s offices to contact the Minister for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Central Nova MP, Sean Fraser to take a look at how we’re screwed over in Taiwan. Since it’s completely legal to give up and then reattain it, several complaints to the MP’s office should help get the ball rolling and see if we could add such a clause like the Australians have. I will be of assistance to get the info needed or get my MP to help push your MP about the seriousness of the situation we face. Multiple complaints help get the ball rolling and recently got the federal government to drop the ArriveCAN requirement for short land crossings.

We can do this. I don’t care if we often agree or disagree about politics, pizza or whatever. This is a differences-put-down zone and we’re in it together.

Thread title made in jest with @fifieldt.

7 Likes

Is this a hypothetical question, or is there someone that you know of who did renounce that way?

Hypothetical. I recently discovered this and there is one as well listed that states if you renounced to take another one.

So for myself I am bugging my government to get some of these added to immigration law in Canada to make it easier to get dual citizenship in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I’m in man. Iys one of my biggest piss offs. And the few Australian friends i have here like to.laugh at me because they can theoretically regain theirs easily if they were so inclined to go tgrough the process (none that i know have bothered, which is atrue shame!).

On the other hand ,i think this type of thing should be at leas cliff little bit strategical, not just a random callbto arms to complain about Taiwans hypocrisy to canadian political figures becaus i REALLY want cananda to grow.some :crazy_face: :soccer: :soccer: and stand up against china, and random expats complaining abou taiwans failures isnt going to help that situation…

Phone is about to die, will edit later.

If you need help with info, what MP you have, telephone numbers, emails etc… You can ask me. If you feel that disclosing your riding/constituency on this thread is a bit too personal as some might not want everyone to know their hometown, feel free to send a PM.

We’re not necessarily complaining about Taiwan’s failures to Canadian politicians. We’re asking for our government to throw us a bone to help us exploit a legal loophole to essentially get dual citizenship quickly and easily without taking a significant chunk of our lives going back for two years and hurting our livelihoods and families. Some of us have families in Taiwan now and uprooting them is not feasible. I’m not one of those, but I have my own issues. We’re asking for our government to support and help Canadians. We’re constituents and we have the right to do so.

What Australia is also doing…albeit unintentionally, is cheapening Taiwan’s requirement that foreigners must give up. If it’s not a big deal to give up because you’ll get it back. Then why is the law there?

1 Like

Read up one line - there’s a specific clause to get your citizenship back if you gave it up just to get citizenship of another country. No need to make an argument about hardship :slight_smile:

Yea. I noticed that one as well. Is it immediate?

I think a proposed amendment of subsection 11 of the Citizenship Act would be most appropriate in that it is the section that covers this.

2 Likes

I also think that a humanitarian complaint could actually gain traction in this case under the rules of the Charter. This could actually work, if you find the right lawyer.

1 Like

For everyone who is interested, here is the current process or resuming Canadian citizenship;

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0301-application-resume-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-11-1.html

2 Likes

This is probably the hangup for most of us:

2 Likes

Yeah, that and it appears that they assume that you have Permanent Residency in Canada (prior to applying to resume citizenship) as well - this takes significant time, (on top of the two years physically in Canada ); not easy to do.

1 Like

Yes. This is our obstacle. We need to call OUR MPs. Together. At a similar point in time. Spread the word!

1 Like

Ya, thats all i meant by organizing a bit ahead of time. Im on board, but seems more effective if we all get together and come.up with rough game plan. Ie. What specific points (such as above), when etc. I think we all know our MPs and where to send.

Now for a little fun:

Seems women cannot renounce (or have different sets of rules), nor can people living in Taiwan as Canada doesnt recognize us as a country officially :yum:

Edit: these are jokes based on the acts wording :slight_smile:

Just in case someone reading your post fails to catch the sarcasm (these are the interwebs after all), no, that’s not how it works.

Haha, fair point.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: The Great Dual Citizenship Debate (2022 edition)

On the Australia side, after renunciation you get issued a Resident Return Visa - basically permanent residence. Not the case in Canada?

That we’re not sure of.

@Satellite_TV did you ever get your Australian citizenship back?