Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

Cool cool cool. While I fully acknowledge my situation is far better than what most people are going through, damn it’ll be a relief, even if what was once the #1 reason for getting these shots - getting to Canada this summer - now looks to be an unattainable goal. Or at least, unattainable if I want to return in time to keep my wife, cats, and school happy with me.

3 Likes

So we do not have go to the same hospital? Mine doesn’t have vaccines yet so can’t book anything. But if I don’t have to I’ll check MacKay.

1 Like

Unsure. As far as I can tell NTUH allows anyone for the second shot - they let me book there, anyway, and my first shot was at MacKay. MacKay’s information above implies to me that they’ll only take people who also got the first shot there. But if I were you I’d just try to register for Wednesday at MacKay - link repeated here - and see if it works. Oh, but that’s as long as you had the first shot early enough, which I think may just be the very first day they were available.

Note again that NTUH did let me book. But one reason I’ve made another booking at MacKay is I was nervous of showing up at NTUH and being told “Oh, you didn’t get your first shot here - sorry, go away!”

MacKay only seems to have booking for this Wednesday. NTUH I believe has more than that going forward.

Pure conjecture: MacKay is grudgingly mopping up the final stages of the self-pay vaccine program, and is letting people get it, but not trying too hard to help. And to be fair the hospitals have a lot on their plate right now. NTUH is actively trying to provide second vaccines.

1 Like

That is the problem for me. I was one of the last and got my first vaccine on May 6th so no schedule is out that far yet. Let me know how it goes for you and I’ll keep an eye on your updates.

1 Like

Must be different everywhere in the US. I wasn’t asked for any ID when I got mine. They only knew about the AZ shot I got in Taiwan because I told them. Mostly I was posting as a tip to the person who said they wanted to get another shot in their home country to not volunteer that they have already been vaccinated, as that might save some headaches.

2 Likes

I already got my 2nd shot of AZ at Far Eastern Hospital 亞東醫院

Last Thursday night I received the following SMS text message from the Hospital

AZ疫苗第二劑施打通知
您注射第一劑AZ已滿8週,請於6/25(五) 13:00-13:30,攜帶疫苗接種卡和健保卡至本院2F注射室施打第二劑(最晚報到時間16:00)。亞東醫院關心您!(若無法前來可於7/1後至官網預約)。

At first I was confused because the Hospital website has the following information :

Those who had the 1st dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at Far Eastern Memorial Hospital before May 9th can receive the second shot after June 23rd by online appointment.The online appointment will be available for booking few days before the estimated date for vaccination.

Note: The vaccine rollout plan above will dynamically change based on the supply and logistics of the CECC.

However If you receive a SMS text message , then there is no need to do the online registration and you only have to go to the Main Entrance at the Hospital and show your NHI card /vaccination card

The process was very fast (I only had to write my name and phone number in a Form) and wait 15 minutes at the rest area

About side effects , I was feeling tired , pain in the arm and a little headache at night but no fever,
all side effects were gone after a couple of days and now I feel normal

6 Likes

Before I start looking, maybe someone already checked:

If you got your first self-paid shot at a big hospital, can you get the second one at some closer small clinic or other vaccination place?

I’d like to avoid heading to a far and big hospital (Tri Services Neihu in my case) and maybe find a closer, less crowded (?) Place. I’ll probably use Google translate with the NHI website, or any better idea where to find other vaccination places (in Nangang)?

1 Like

Yes you should be able to. I got my first dose at a Ministry of Health hospital and the second dose at a local Weishengshu office (public health ). Service was excellent, no overcrowding , apart from an IT hiccup would be in and out in about 20 mins. Highly recommend avoiding the hospitals.

Did anybody see any queues at any vaccination sites ? There weren’t many people when we went to get jabbed.

It seems Taiwanese are reluctant to get jabbed still.
They need to open to more age groups such as 65 plus.

2 Likes

Yep, they will probably announce the opening to more groups soon.

OK, here some findings so far:

1. Google maps shows (some) vaccination locations. I simply searched for

nangang COVID-19 vaccination locations

This shows at least 台北市立聯合醫院南港門診部 which seems to be the district health center in the district administration office building

1. The most useful I found was this news post on the page of the Taipei department of health . Here are links to three PDF files containing the vaccination locations: 12 medical clinics, 34 regional hospitals, 207 community clinics. In the community clinics PDF you then find 10 local small clinics in Nangang, numbers 185 ~194… Here is a google map with all locations marked (yes # 187 and #188 seem to be the same place, just two different doctors):

Link to map
nangang-vaccines

Edit: added Neihu as well. What the heck, I guess I’ll just add whole of Taipei as soon as I have some time.

185 南港區 義仁兒科診所 劉義仁 02-26515929 臺北市南港區玉成街138號
186 南港區 李文珍小兒科診所 李文珍 02-26511871 臺北市南港區研究院路二段74號
187 南港區 天仁小兒科診所 莊天仁 02-27862687 臺北市南港區成福路21號
188 南港區 天仁健康診所 邱詩淵 02-27862687 臺北市南港區成福路21號
189 南港區 蔣小兒科診所 蔣世中 02-26513761 臺北市南港區玉成街166巷30號1樓
190 南港區 永育診所 曾珍琳 02-27850700 臺北市南港區福德街320-2號
191 南港區 維康診所 陳靖倫 02-26517748 臺北市南港區研究院路二段84巷1號
192 南港區 杏安診所 劉映辰 02-227892008 臺北市南港區同德路76號1樓
193 南港區 友力耳鼻喉科診所 廖挺崴 02-2785-3913 臺北市南港區忠孝東路五段970號1樓
194 南港區 松展診所 周曉鋒 02-27631373 臺北市南港區忠孝東路六段110巷18號

5 Likes

I think the issue will be whether or not the hospital has any vaccines. Tri Services in Neihu does not so I couldn’t book there. So far I’ve heard of MacKay, NTUH and now Far Eastern.

1 Like

I still haven’t seen clear evidence this is possible in Taipei City or New Taipei City. @Brianjones and @Shaun008 did this outside of the northern metropolitan area, I think. You listed Taipei City sites above; there’s a similar list of vaccination sites in New Taipei City here, but as far as I can tell, it’s still for the “normal” priority groups, not for anyone who was on the self-pay program and is now looking for a second shot. Many of those sites have AZ vaccines, but I’m not sure if they can help us.

If one is close by, heck, go for it, but it may be a wasted hour / afternoon.

EDIT: here’s the image that I guess describes New Taipei City’s policy (source); if desired, can do an image translate here. But this is for New Taipei City, not Taipei City.

1 Like

Correct it was outside of Taipei.

1 Like

Yes mine was in Pingtung, and I’m dodging Delta now.

2 Likes

Good luck! 10 days until the superpowers kick in, or something like that?

(I know, I know, it’s just a bullet-proof vest and not an all-powerful shield.)

1 Like

A clinic in Taipei posted on their Facebook that they already have 500-600 registrations for the leftover vaccine, and no way to give vaccine to all of them.

1 Like

First of all that’s great to hear - people are interested. Finally.

What I referred to, and what this thread I hope is about, is the 2nd shot for people who already got the 1st. They seem to be in some of the standard categories, so not the “everyone else” category that can apply for the leftovers.

I hope that once the eligibility for vaccination bus clearly established, one could go anywhere to get the shots.

1 Like

Added Neihu vaccination locations to the map

1 Like

Yes, after I posted, I thought it was off topic. I was looking for the info how/whether people can make a reservation for a vaccine at clinics in Taipei. Older people certainly could for the large-scale vaccination in previous weeks through city’s vaccine site, but I didn’t find a certain information for daily vaccination at clinics.

1 Like

So, here’s the map with all Taipei vaccination places based on this Taipei Department of Health news post and the 3 PDFs provided there:

Link
vac

I suspect that this kind of map already exists, maybe as part of g0v / @au … and hopefully based on open data, openStreetMaps etc. and not necessarily this proprietary google stuff ^^

Edit:

Yes it exists, but doesn’t seem to include the small community clinics (yet?). Here’s the official map with the current vaccination places all over Taiwan: COVID-19防治一網通

vac3.PNG

2 Likes