Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

I’d go. If they ask questions, just do what I do, act like a thick foreigner who doesn’t understand and they’ll get fed up and put you through just to be rid of you.

I do that if I get stopped by the police for whatever reason–just act thick. It’s got me out of a ticking off for crossing the road where I’m not meant to a few times.

I’m not a white guy so that won’t work.

1 Like

Ah, ok fair enough.

Playing thick works for us foreigners because they just can’t be arsed to deal with a numbnut who doesn’t know what’s going on.

maybe just for you guys white foreigners.

3 Likes

Maybe just skip the appointment and book later then, or go to the appointment and see what happens, or trying calling them again until they pick up?

I’m not sure what other suggestions you’re hoping for here…

Just got my 2nd AZ shot at Far Eastern. Even though my first shot there was on May 10th (not prior to May 9th and only 8 weeks from 1st shot), I was able to make an appointment online for my 2nd shot. Arrived at 1:30 pm and went up the escalator to counter 8 on the right where they checked my vaccination card. Even though I have a plane ticket departing in 2 weeks, they didn’t look at it. Then filled out consent form and got my shot with less than 3 min wait. No fee for 2nd shot. Very efficient.

Thanks @tando for the heads-up.

6 Likes

It takes me like 2 hours to get there, so it’s too late.

But I’m not seeing any az availability past today. I guess they are out of AZ and probably have to wait until they release the dosesfrom Thailand…

You could just book a fully refundable airline ticket if they need to see proof of travel.

Just fake up a plane ticket.
Faking documents required by senseless bureaucracy is an essential skill in Taiwan

1 Like

It’s also a criminal offense.

Then buy a non-refundable ticket and cancel it within the 24 hour window for full refund.
Is that any less a “criminal offense”

Not in any of the cases I’ve done it.
They were just cases where I could not possibly produce the required documents. The events/facts described in said documents were accurate.

On this page for NTUH I see lots of openings over the next couple of weeks. I made a booking there successfully (i.e they don’t seem to require your first jab to have been done there), and later cancelled it when MacKay opened up (i.e. you won’t be stuck with the same cancelling dilemma you just faced). Maybe you can make an appointment for at your 10-week mark just so you know there’s one option for you?

Caveat: my Chinese is awful and maybe I totally misunderstand what that page is saying.

3 Likes

It was reading full but I found a slot on Wednesday July 21.

It would be a late birthday present

1 Like

Thanks, booked mine just now, spots are disappearing rapidly!

3 Likes

All full now. I managed to also book a spot for my wife who’s first vaccination was on May 10th, see how it works out. Thanks again @lostinasia !

2 Likes

A friend of mine who got her first dose of AZ (self-pay) on May 14 is getting her second dose tomorrow. That’s good news for those who got their first dose after May 9.

2 Likes

Perhaps wait until she gets the shot to celebrate! Where did she book?

Was a breeze: tons of people lining up outside, but in and out (now fully vaccinated) in under 30 minutes.

Short: wait in line outside, someone takes a photo of your NHI card, go in and to the vaccination room, put NHI card in the waiting list monitor on the wall, fill out an English form asking which vaccine and for what reason are you travelling, get called into doctors office immediately, get asked if I felt unwell after first shot, then wait outside 5 minutes, get the shot, get card updated, done. Supposed to wait 15 minutes before going home.

Awesome! Thank you Taiwan, and thank you Japan!

This time they even asked if I need the vaccine batch number. They added it (hand written) to the vaccination card. They explained my first shot was from Europe, second one from Japan.

10/10, would go again ^^

5 Likes

That is very interesting, as it indicates that some of the earlier AZ shipments (they came from Korea, along with the first donation from Japan) may have also been made in Japan . . .

Guy

3 Likes