Getting your bike to Penghu

Does anybody know if taking your bike with you on the ferry to Penghu is possible?

Or even if it is, should I take it with us on the plane? I’ll be going with my family (two kids), and so I wonder if the ferry would be too much of a hassle with a family and my bike.

There’s a triathlon in a few months in Penghu.

Thanks.

Here’s the thread on the Penghu island ferry:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=119706

[quote=“marasan”]Does anybody know if taking your bike with you on the ferry to Penghu is possible?

Or even if it is, should I take it with us on the plane? I’ll be going with my family (two kids), and so I wonder if the ferry would be too much of a hassle with a family and my bike.

There’s a triathlon in a few months in Penghu.

Thanks.

Here’s the thread on the Penghu island ferry:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=119706[/quote]

I’ve already PM’d you the details, but I figured I’d share for those who are interested.

There’s a few options you can take to the island.

1. Plane
  2. Car --> Ferry
  3. Train --> Ferry

So far after some research through the blogosphere and asking the locals, it seems like taking the ferry is the most convenient when traveling with a bike. Since the plane going there may be very small, the bagged bike might not fit in the lower compartment. If it doesn’t, I highly suggest not trying it if you value your bike at all.

The ferry is one of those cross island ferries that you can drive and park your car in, so if you have a car and already have the bike secured on the car (or packed inside of it) that’s the most efficient way of getting on the ferry. A few blogs have said they bagged their bike when boarding the ferry, but some have reported they walked on the ferry without it bagged.

I think in your case marasan, you may want to consider driving since you’re traveling with family. It’s a small island, but getting around may be much more convenient when traveling with kids if you have a car.