Ghetthopoloy

cnn.com/2003/US/10/09/ghetto … index.html

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) – Cheap Trick Avenue instead of Boardwalk? Hernando’s Chop Shop instead of Reading Railroad?

Black leaders are outraged over a new board game called “Ghettopoly” that has “playas” acting like pimps and game cards reading, “You got yo whole neighborhood addicted to crack. Collect $50.”

Black clergymen say the game, the brainchild of a Pennsylvania man, should be banned, and have called for a boycott of Urban Outfitters unless the company stops selling Ghettopoly in its chain of clothing stores.

Urban Outfitters has not publicly commented on the issue, and did not return a call seeking comment on Wednesday.

“If we are silent on this issue there is more of this type to come,” the Rev. Robert P. Shine Sr., president of the Black Clergy of Philadelphia & Vicinity, said at a sidewalk rally Wednesday in front Urban Outfitters’ corporate headquarters in Philadelphia.

Shine displayed the game board, with properties including Westside Liquor, Harlem, The Bronx, and Long Beach City, and squares labeled Smitty’s XXX Peep Show, Weinstein’s Gold and Platinum, and Tyron’s Gun Shop.

Players draw “Hustle” and “Ghetto Stash” cards with directions like, “You’re a little short on loot, so you decided to stick up a bank. Collect $75,” and “Steal $$$ if you pass Let$ Roll.”

The creator of Ghettopoly, David Chang, did not immediately answer e-mails or phone calls seeking comment about the game.

On his Web site, Chang is unapologetic, and promises that more games – Hoodopoly, Hiphopopoly, Thugopoly and Redneckopoly – are coming soon.

“It draws on stereotypes not as a means to degrade, but as a medium to bring together in laughter,” Chang maintains, adding, “If we can’t laugh at ourselves … we’ll continue to live in blame and bitterness.”

But the Ghettopoly board depicts figures labeled “Malcum X” and “Martin Luthor King Jr.” – intentionally misspelled – noted Rev. Glenn Wilson, pastor of Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church.

“This is beyond making fun, to use the caricature of Dr. King in this regard,” Wilson said. “There’s no way that game could be taken in any way other than that this man had racist intent in marketing it.”

The Philadelphia black clergy and Men United for a Better Philadelphia were just the latest to protest the game. In Chicago, the Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor of St. Sabina Catholic Church, called for a boycott of Urban Outfitters. In Florida, the St. Petersburg and Hillsborough County chapters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People urged the company to stop carrying the game.

“I was outraged. We called Outfitters, we wrote them a letter, we held a press conference, but we’ve had no response,” Pfleger said Wednesday.

The creator of the game, David Chang, sounds to be an Asian man. Interesting. What a stupid idea for a game.

Very distressing. When I was a kid we played nice family games like this:

US computer game angers Chinese players

BEIJING - A US-made computer game has sparked an outcry among players in China because it portrays the country as a terrorist base, and gamers can even destroy Tiananmen Square in a simulated scene.
asiamedia.ucla.edu/Weekly200 … China5.htm

We used to play a fantastic game calle Shanghai Trader. Everyone played a colonial power and the aim was to make the most out of gambling, opium, and prostitution rackets in old Shanghai as you could and try and get out of the country with the loot before the revolution.

Brian

How have the mighty fallen. When washed up tennis celebrities go bad. But what does David Chang know about such things? I thought he was a good christian boy.

I like the opium trader thing and would like to play it with my kids. What’s the rules? can we make some up?

[quote]One irate player said: ‘It is an insult to China for players to be able to bomb Tiananmen Square at the press of a button. The image of Tiananmen Square cannot be sullied. We will not allow foreigners to treat this as a joke!’
[/quote]

:? Sheez. This from a country whose overseas reporters stationed in the US applauded when they saw video images of the twin towers burning!

MLK’s family has a strong business peddling the image of the murdered civil rights leader. it’ll be fun to see what their legal eagles come up with th protect their estate.

the beijinger is just a typically brainwashed frog-in-the-well.

we used to play cowboys and indians…and the indians always won. scalping was just more fun than rebuilding the fort.

Sorry, doesn’t offend me. What about the PS2 game Grand Theft Auto? I hear you get points for picking up hookers. :sunglasses:
You may diss me for my ho-hum attitude to what you would call racism or such, but think what the world would be like if it were populated with people of similar thinking as me. You could call a man a jig or come out with a game that rewards killing Arabs and we’d just shrug and say, “Whatever.” Words and concepts are offensive only if the recipient thinks they are. No one would fight over a “slur” since no one would care.

I for one think it’s hilarious. But then I laughed at the “Custer’s Last Stand” game concept too, which makes me one sick puppy.

That game was great! I played GTA2 on the PC. No points for picking up hookers, but you got points for driving along the sidewalk bowling down pedestrians, but then the police would be after you, which would mean stopping and running down an alley and pulling out the flamethrower to take out the cops, oops there’s a squadcar, better switch to a flamethrower, that’s better, but the ice-cream van I was driving just got torched, I think I’ll steal a school bus next and go massacre some Yakuza to get my status up with the rival gangs. Ooo-eee!

Brian

Wolfman wrote, correctly: “You may diss me for my ho-hum attitude to what you would call racism or such, but think what the world would be like if it were populated with people of similar thinking as me. You could call a man a jig or come out with a game that rewards killing Arabs and we’d just shrug and say, “Whatever.” Words and concepts are offensive only if the recipient thinks they are. No one would fight over a “slur” since no one would care.”

Wolfman, all kidding aside, now I know you are insane. And I mean that as a compliment. Wow, is all I can say. You really mean that?

By the way, DAVID CHANG, the inventor of that game, is Tawiansee. He was born here, moved to US when 7 or 8, grew up there, might even have US passport now, but he is an island boy from here. See what America does to people!

That one?

star-techcentral.com/tech/story. … technology

smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/ … 35041.html