Ghost Money?

I’m writing a paper related to the use of ghost money for a class in anthropological folklore. Specifically, I’ll be looking at the various types of containers used for burning ghost money. So far I’ve identified three basic types: the small, garbage can type that is found outside of almost every home; the larger, chimney-like containers usually found outside of apartment buildings and some businesses; and the huge, elaborately decorated furnaces found at every temple.

As part of the paper I’ll also need to include some general background information about the history and use of ghost money and perhaps even the burning containers themselves – if such information exists in English. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go about finding this information? Any related stories to share?

Thanks in advance.

A flippant story that shows a bit about Taiwanese attitudes.

Came in pissed with my old roomie. Decided to BBQ everything in the fridge, out on the balcony. No firestarter thingies. Got a pile of the landlord’s ghost money, doused in gaoling and lit the bbq. Great BBQ, accidentally dropped a steak on the roof of next door’s car.

Woke up in the morning with a slowly dawning awareness that some piesaying may be in order and the landlord may be mighty pissed off with the sacriligious use of his ghost money. He thought it was bloody hilarious and added that we made the gods very happy, giving them both money, steak and liquor.

No info about sources with the kind of detailed info you are looking for, in English, although there are few books around in English with general intros to religious practice. If you find anything, please post; I’d be interested in reading too.

Good luck with your research; sounds like an interesting course.

That is a funny story. It’s strange how lightly they took such sacrilegious behavior - it gives some insight as to just how serious they really are about it. Maybe someone had a point on the “ghosts in the macaroni” thread about Taiwanese people just adhering to tradition but not actually believing in their actions.

Why is it sacrilegious? The landlord is right. Burning the stuff merely transports it from this world to the parallel world occupied by ghosts. The vehicle it’s burnt in is irrelevant.

A temple near my place here in HK sits under a big banyon tree, so they cart their funeral pyres down to the beach where they dig a pit in the sand and fire up boxes of ghost money and assorted effigies, such as houses, furnishings, boats, and servants, etc.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Why is it sacrilegious? The landlord is right. Burning the stuff merely transports it from this world to the parallel world occupied by ghosts. The vehicle it’s burnt in is irrelevant.
[/quote]
But doesn’t it matter who is burning the money? People usually burn ghost money to give to their own dead relatives/ancestors. If a drunken foreigner is burning ghost money, who is receiving the money on the other side?

All ghosts. You’re just sending money to a parallel universe inhabited by ghosts. It doesn’t have anyone’s name on it. The idea is to keep the ghosts in their world rather than have them hungry and wandering ours. That’s why ambulance drivers, police and firefighters burn the stuff where there’s been a fatality. it’s to encourage ghosts to go off to the ghost world.

You can send it specifically by thinking or praying for the person that’s died while you “count” and burn it. They do this with the effigies.

HG

[quote=“barfomcgee”]I’m writing a paper related to the use of ghost money for a class in anthropological folklore. Specifically, I’ll be looking at the various types of containers used for burning ghost money. So far I’ve identified three basic types: the small, garbage can type that is found outside of almost every home; the larger, chimney-like containers usually found outside of apartment buildings and some businesses; and the huge, elaborately decorated furnaces found at every temple.

As part of the paper I’ll also need to include some general background information about the history and use of ghost money and perhaps even the burning containers themselves – if such information exists in English. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go about finding this information? Any related stories to share?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I’ve often seen steel netting curled into a circle used when larger amounts were being burned.

[quote=“barfomcgee”]
But doesn’t it matter who is burning the money? People usually burn ghost money to give to their own dead relatives/ancestors. If a drunken foreigner is burning ghost money, who is receiving the money on the other side?[/quote]

A couple of Taiwanese people I know have reacted in the same way. One said, though, the danger is, whenever I had a BBQ in the future, there’ll be loads of speculative ghosts around.

I guess In Taiwan, where so many burn for their own ancestors, burning for random ghosts is a compassionate, merit-making thing to do?

Well, there are two kinds of god/ghost money, aren’t there? In his book “Private Prayers and Public Parades”, Mark Caltonhill writes:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
I’ve often seen steel netting curled into a circle used when larger amounts were being burned.[/quote]
Seems like they’ll burn ghost money in just about anything, then. I’ve also seen what appeared to be large, rusty oil drums with a few holes cut into the side. At first I thought they were used for burning garbage, but now I’m not so sure.

Interesting. Is this book strictly about Taiwan? At most temples I’ve only seen one kind of ghost money, which appears to be the gold kind.

:noway: Makes you wonder if they actually believe such whimsical ideas.

[quote=“barfomcgee”]Is this book strictly about Taiwan?[/quote]Yes, it is. I thought most people knew about the two kinds of paper money. There’s certainly been mention of it on Forumosa before.

That book is good. Lots of pictures.

I wonder what the proportion of gold to silver burning is?

I guess the question I’d be most interested in is whether or not they burn the different kinds of ghost money in different containers. A lot of homes have two or three seemingly identical burning containers outside; why?

I’ll definitely be having a look at the book you mentioned, though. Thanks for bringing it up.

I guess the question I’d be most interested in is whether or not they burn the different kinds of ghost money in different containers. A lot of homes have two or three seemingly identical burning containers outside; why?

I’ll definitely be having a look at the book you mentioned, though. Thanks for bringing it up.[/quote]
Well, it is a nice book, with a brief overview of a variety of beliefs and practices here, and lots of pictures. The scope doesn’t permit the author to go into much depth, though. The bit I quoted is about all there is on burning money (with a photo by the side showing a tiled money-burning oven thing with a section for each of the “gold” and “silver” money).