Ghost Towns In Taiwan?

Hi there forumosans, I have all ways been curious of visiting abandoned places like ghost towns, is something like that here in Taiwan? I saw this abandoned village in HK, from the bus, called Wan Ma and I have been wanting to go take a few picture on a place like that here in Taiwan, I heard about this futuristic place called San Zhi UFO houses, and I will definitively go check them out if possible. I would like to take a few pics.

The San Zhi UFO houses have been knocked down.

There are a lot of places. Wanli (near Keelung) has some different UFO houses. craigfergusonimages.com/2011 … d-village/

There are a few abandoned military sites, there’s the 13 levels mine near Jiufen, there’s a resort near Baishawan and a whole lot of scattered factories and the like around the island.

There is a very spooky abandoned hotel on the road coming down from the Republic of China military cemetery.

Yeah, I read about that place getting demolished a couple of years back, whatta bummer. But yeah I will definitely check those other places, to take a few pics.

Thanks!

[quote=“TexMex”]Yeah, I read about that place getting demolished a couple of years back, whatta bummer. But yeah I will definitely check those other places, to take a few pics.

Thanks![/quote]

If you’re referring to the ghost hotel, it is still there. At least until 3 weeks ago, when I was there.

i have stayed at a small (and very nice) hotel on chang an e. rd. NOt sure if its still there. Check it out for me. It was called the White House hotel or something. Had a really nice italian restaurant on the second floor. May have been renamed, not sure.

Very nicely appointed rooms and very fair price. Was like 1600nt/ nite in the late 90s.

But. Honestly it could be haunted ! Not sure, but had a rather strange occurence there.

GF and i stayed the nite and we were leaving on the first flight to HK in the morning. So i said we should get up at 530am. Set the alarm for 530am. But just before 530am the TV switched on by itself.

Thought it odd but not extremely strange.

I stayed an extra day in HK while the GF returned a day early and stayed at the same hotel again.

And she felt that the room lights turned itself off and on once or twice.

So it may be nothing but just mere electrical anomalies, but did feel kinda spooky?

At any rate, anyone going by chang an e. rd near chong shan n. rd. See if its still there. If so, it was very nicely done, the rooms, and the second floor restaurant was a real treat !

[quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“TexMex”]Yeah, I read about that place getting demolished a couple of years back, whatta bummer. But yeah I will definitely check those other places, to take a few pics.

Thanks![/quote]

If you’re referring to the ghost hotel, it is still there. At least until 3 weeks ago, when I was there.[/quote]

details. details. need details !

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“TexMex”]Yeah, I read about that place getting demolished a couple of years back, whatta bummer. But yeah I will definitely check those other places, to take a few pics.

Thanks![/quote]

If you’re referring to the ghost hotel, it is still there. At least until 3 weeks ago, when I was there.[/quote]

details. details. need details ![/quote]

I think that’s the Lau Ka villa. It is/was owned by Lau Ka Cheong. If I remember correctly it was damaged during the same typhoon that caused the Lincoln Mansions to collapse. taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 0000166889

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“TexMex”]Yeah, I read about that place getting demolished a couple of years back, whatta bummer. But yeah I will definitely check those other places, to take a few pics.

Thanks![/quote]

details. details. need details ![/quote]

Just drive down the TP29 road from the military cemetery to Neihu. You can’t miss it.

I think the best ghost towns in Taiwan are probably in Penghu. There are numerous villages with distinctive traditional architecture with no inhabitants at all - or in some cases merely a few. The buildings are abandoned, and the effect is quite eerie.

wait the lincoln mansions actually collapsed??? or was it just damaged?

u mean like the building had to be torn down or what?

lincoln mansions on tunhwa or something?

Not sure, Tommy. I’ve read some reports say a retaining wall collapsed and others saying apartments did. They were the ones in Hsichih and resulted in 28 deaths.

Wow didnt know bout that. Thought it was the huge Lincoln Mansion on Tunhwa (i think its on Tunhwa, but i forgot) . That building is huge. If that goes down it would be quite severe in loss of life.

There are a few really big abandoned Hotels south of Taipei in Taoyuan county. I couldn’t tell you how to get there but the town name is Shihmen (Reservoir). There is a large reservoir there and there used to be some kind of theme park on the other side of the lake. They tore the theme park down and all the hotels lost all their business. I visited there a few months back and it was creepy how much was abandoned. There was a HUGE community there too with maybe 10% of the units filled. Plus two very large resort hotels next door completely overgrown. They had a few resident squatters. I took a few pictures from way out in the front and some guy came up to me and my wife and threatened us for taking pictures. Told us to not make the photos public or …“I would pay for it.”

I know that one too. There was another abandoned theme park in Dakeng outside Taichung but I think they have torn most of it down now.

Iv been at that theme park and also at that hotel. IT was a wonderful hotel built by the people who built and owned the President Hotel and Taipei HIlton I think.

If it’s decayed habitations you’re after, there’s a long row of two-story brick “condos” on a mountain road past Academia Sinica that are dramatically half-collapsed due to erosion of the hill they were built on. Good photo opportunities as the back walls have mostly collapsed, so you can see through them to vegetation they are dangling over or various parts of the city further in the distance. Just look for the highest sky-rise apartments you can see from Nankang and go another 200 meters or so past them to find it.

Go to a BB Gun store. I used to know this local cat who was into that shit and he and his crew used to go to all the empty tower blocks or neighborhoods around the island and have urban warfare games (kind of like paintball on steroids).

They all sound like perfect places to take some pics on, I’m gonna have to pin them all on a map to go see them next time I’m in their area. Thanks guys, keep suggesting new places please.

Also the bb gun thing sounds like a lot of fun, specially considering how I hate to run it spider webs, and bugs in general lol.