Ghosts in the Macaroni

[quote=“barfomcgee”]Tommy,

Given the rejection of science, reason and critical thinking you’ve demonstrated on this thread with your acceptance of ghosts, god and now UFOs, I would venture to say that you lived in Taiwan far longer than was good for you.

There is always a rational explanation for everything; only the uneducated or intellectually lazy jump to supernatural conclusions. As Jimi stated, “UFOs are possible, but 99.9999999% improbable.” The concepts of god and ghosts are simply the remnants of our primitive past.[/quote]
:bravo:

haha, I might agree Iv lived in Taiwan longer then was sane :slight_smile: But i cant understand how my primitive past (and some say present as i am still a knuckle dragger) has to do with seeing a farmer barefoot at 3am on a deserted mountain road in heavy rain who then dissappeared into nowwhere? HMMMM. How does my primitive past relate to that? Was I a taiwanese farmer in the distant past carrying those water buckets (now why would anyone be carrying water in water buckets when its pouring buckets anyway?) and then i died cuz i got gored by a water buffalo and im up at nite hunting for the critter?

and how does my primitive past result in my brother seeing the ghost in our house in the USA (and hes 100pct white by the way, and never been to taiwan) nor I seeing the same spirit. And this spirit aint taiwanese.

Nope, science is just that …science…the art of exploration. NO, we (mankind) dont have all the answers my friend.

I never believed in Ghosts till i saw one, nor UFO until i saw one.

OH the lights out at sea? They were not at sea level. Unless a fishing boat was floating about 1000 feet in the sky?

Unbelievably moronic. Grow up. Am I now expected to respect your “culture” or if I don’t, going to be accused of ethnocentricity?

Nobodys trying to convince you or make you believe in anything or respect any particular culture or ethnocentricity. Be as you are.

I’m still trying to grasp the difference between beer and water, they both have a funny taste in Taiwan.

I always fail to understand how people who ‘see ghosts’ never question themselves. I too have ‘seen things’, some of them fairly scary, but I put them down to poor eyesight, tiredness, the dark, etc. It just never seemed that plausible that the undead were making an appearance.

BCup, what’s the diff between 'wan beer and 'wan water?

(A Norman Mailer quote that links ghosts, Celtic logic, beer, and H2O would be good. No, Mailer couldn’t handle the water part… got to be an ethnobotanist quote.)

One comes from the Danshui river, one comes from the Hsintien? Preferring not to ingest either, I can’t rightly say.

If you drink eight pints of water and pick up a sailor, then you are a dirty slut. If you drink eight pints of Taiwan beer and pick up a sailor, then being a dirty slut will be the least of your problems. So I’m told.

Does Taiwan beer give you the sixth sense? In the Bruce Willis way?

OP, a couple of my cousins take their kids to mass, to keep up the tradition. I don’t go because my grandparents didn’t take my parents, so the chain broke. You don’t necessarily have to agree with every tenet of the catholic church to want to keep connected. I have a Jewish friend with similar ideas about her faith, now that she has children. To break a long established cultural chain is not something that some people want to do. Not sure what I think, just that there are other aspects to cultural/religious practices than absolute belief.

[quote=“tommy525”]
But there is GOD. [/quote]
May I ask why you say this, and can you clarify if you think there is only one or multiple.

[quote=“treefour”][quote=“tommy525”]
But there is GOD. [/quote]
May I ask why you say this, and can you clarify if you think there is only one or multiple.[/quote]

Personally I believe in the HOly Trinity. God Jehovah (the Father) , God Jesus (the Christ and Son) and God the HOly Spirit.

No wonder you believe in ghosts.

I dont actually think that they are the spirits of departed humans tho. Actually I tend to think that they are evil spirits , fallen angels.

Must be quite bizarre living in the 10th century. Have you burned any witches recently?

Sir why would training as an accountant cause you to question the religious beliefs of your culture? Also if you could kindly prove that ghosts and spirits do not live in trees etc I would be eternally greatful.

NOT YET, although a certain bcup? JUST KIDDING :slight_smile:

Fallacy. That’s like saying Santa Clause exists because we can’t prove he doesn’t.

Fallacy. That’s like saying Santa Clause exists because we can’t prove he doesn’t.[/quote]

Well Santa exists because hes man made and its our pleasure to let him exist. God and other Beings though? Not soo easy to dismiss.

God and other “beings” are man-made. Duhh.

Fallacy. That’s like saying Santa Clause exists because we can’t prove he doesn’t.[/quote]

Well Santa exists because hes man made and its our pleasure to let him exist. God and other Beings though? Not soo easy to dismiss.[/quote]
Does Santa actually exist, or just the concept of Santa? Santa is an idea; he’s not a living, breathing human. “God” is just a concept, too - the only place he/she/it exists is in the minds of humans.

I’m not getting into a dumb argument. The OP is indicating that these beliefs are cuckoo so certainly it is up to him to prove his position is correct. Or is this thread a needless attack on a Taiwanese belief system?

Jimi you are allowed to have your belief. The duhh comment at the end is not needed though and is written in the same spirirt with which you mock your Taiwanese hosts.