Giant "Anyroad"

Um, just how tall are you? good luck finding a bike if you are bigger than 5’11" or so, or if you have long legs.

And, yes please fit road tires about 25-30 mm width, something like Michelin sport contact or similar are good for Taiwan. Keep the knobbies in the very back of the cupboard.

oh God, here we go again!
:roflmao:[/quote]

Mmmmhm…

March, unless you want to go through this forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4&t=106294 just get the Anyroad and enjoy it! Actually if the Anyroad was available when I was in the midst of that thread/OCD mindfuck conundrum, I probably would have bought one!

Haha. I read through that thread. It saved me a lot of time deciding for, then against most bikes. I’m 5’10" - still a problem in some shops it seems. Seen a good deal on a 2011 Felt Z75, so I’ll probably get that unless someone puts me off before the weekend!

oh no - the Felt is just what you need.

Let me just muddle the waters a bit.
This:

spinburn.com.tw/performer/pr … cts_id=155

would be something I would seriously consider for a first bike if I was looking for something to ride on just about any road or hard-packed trail in Taiwan. It’s a good weitght for a tourer and the largest size would be perfect for a person five-ten, and you can’t beat the price.
I wished they had had this when I was first in the market.

vs

:ohreally:

I own the Anyroad 2 and I bought it at Alan’s Bike Shop out in Gongguan. Let me preface this by saying I am not a professional rider, like really not professional (taught myself to ride on a shitty Walmart bike when I was 24), but this bike kills it. I’m entry-level tall 6’1" and it fits great. The folks at Alan’s sized the bike to me (even got close to my jubblies with their measuring bar). I took the bike from Gongguan to Shenkeng on the river bike trail with no problem. Next week I went from Xindian to Gongguan to Shenkeng. I haven’t tried going up a mountain yet, but it is perfect for swerving around the meandering locals on the trails. It’s also easy to break it down and put in a bike bag. I recommend it.

The wider tires are good for the busted up Xinbei roads too, but I wouldn’t try taking it off road (probably why it is called Anyroad instead of Anywhere).

Cool, glad you like it!

Looks like there are some other disc brake road bikes [theoretically] available in Taiwan now as well -

Spesh Secteur Sport Disc
specialized.com/tw/en/bikes/ … isccompact

and one from Salsa too (the Colossal)
salsacycles.com/bikes/colossal

Cool stuff, but i dont think they can take big tires like the Anyroad though (I’ve read the Salsa maxes out at 28c, not sure about the Secteur)

I just want to confirm that you are happy with the Anyroad. We are the same height and I’m concerned that the large is only 50.5.

If you are a larger size, could go by ordering a frame from http://dengfubikes.com/ that’s your size. Build it up from there. They have various cyclocross disc, MTB, and road frames built to size. I got a road frame that I am very happy with. Carbon frame, fork, seatpost, stem, handlebars, headset, and a pair of bottle holders for 20,000, including shipping. Bought locally built aluminum wheels from a vendor in Taichung for 5000, and now just gathering the components. The frame itself was around US 500. The carbon quality is apparently the same as the Giant advanced series. Oh, and by the way the frames have no branding on them, if you like that kind of thing. You can put your own decal brand on it, or whatever.

The Specialized Sectuer disc is very nice. But the components are Sora (2013) and it will put you back 40k. Basically it is the same setup as the Anyroad 1 model, but more than double the price.

The Specialized Tricross is awesome, but again, you will pay a premium.

Few things I don’t like about the Anyroad is 1. the wheelbase is a bit short for that kind of bike. It is about the same wheelbase as their Defy model… and 2. There is no way to attach a rear rack for touring, except a seatpost rack. These are ridiculous oversights for the kind of bike they are marketing, in my opinion.

Both the Sectuer and the Tricross have a bit longer of a wheelbase for a more comfortable ride, and have both front and back mounting points for racks.

Registered at the forum only to comment this :slight_smile: Either Taiwan is changing or I was extremely lucky just now:

I’m passing through Taiwan coming from Korea. After sitting here for 4 weeks with all my bikes in a container and me not seeing them for probably another 8 weeks, I decided to take the plunge and add a reasonably economic ride to my stable. So today I couldn’t hold it any longer (I’m 6"2 with long legs, the rental bikes kill me…) and walked into the Giant shop in Qsquare shopping mall. Asked for a Anyroad 0 – it appeared that they sell up to L in Taiwan. The sales guy (who spoke good English) looked at my body measurements and said, “uhh, you probably need an XL”. Yes, I know… And then “Sorry, we don’t have in stock, need to order. Takes 2-3 days”. Ding! I thought there are no large Giant frames on this island?

Anyway, the bike should be here on Tuesday. I’ll get to it with a tape measure to see whether it fits me, but an XL should be large enough :slight_smile:

What a difference to Korea where the guys in the shops tell you that an S is the best for you since it’s the lightest!

Speaking of “any road”, this is the Anyroad on steroids. Rack and fender mounts, disc brakes or rim brakes (with dropout spacers), up to 30mm tires, aero design and pretty light… the perfect Taiwan road bike?

http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/avant-m30d-usa/

Too bad the mid-range carbon models aren’t available in Taiwan (they aren’t listed on the website, anyway) - I really want one.