Giant spiders!

I’ve had the pleasure of seeing about 5 of these things since my arrival in Hsinchu 8 months ago. Almost brushed my hand against this one after using the squat toilet!!! What if it would have fallen on my head?!:frowning:

Then you would have been arrested for indecent exposure after running out of the toilet into the nearby street screaming your head off with your pants around your ankles…

At least that’s what I would have done.

Heteropoda venatoria (Brown Huntsman)

It would have freaked out and scuttled away faster then you could say Jack Robinson. Those roach-killers par excellence are your friends.

It would have freaked out and scuttled away faster then you could say Jack Robinson. Those roach-killers par excellence are your friends.[/quote]
I killed two in the last few months and the roach count has grown. Wish I’d known this before. I was afraid they’d bite my son as I didn’t know if they were poisonous or not. They look huge alive, but small and pitiful in death. I felt really bad after I’d swatted them. I’ll leave them in peace now to sort out the roaches.

I keep hearing they are peaceful but who wants one of these crawling around the apartment? The one I had in my apartment before was much larger than this one. It took a whole can of raid and a racket to kill it.

We have a few of them. Most stay hidden; we only know they exist because they “moult” every few weeks. They’re quite big. One lives in the kitchen in plain view. The only roaches we have (that we can see, anyway) are ones that fly in when the doors/windows are open. No eggs or excrement, either, unlike our previous accommodation. Between the bigass spiders and the cat, there’s really nowhere for them to hide. Keep the spiders; if all else fails and you’re still freaked out, hit the wall and they’ll get out of sight. They are your FRIENDS!!!

I can attest to that. Before I killed two of them we had zero roaches. Since the “killings” I’ve spotted and had to kill several of the icky bastards.

I rather have roaches than spiders…

To each his/her own fears. I loathe roaches. I’m rather fond of spiders and don’t mind them in the house as long as they aren’t poisonous or harmful to children. I’ve noticed these ones are skittish and run for cover very easily (which makes them hard to kill). The damn roaches, on the other hand, they’ll try and stare you down. :astonished:

Thanks for the photo, OP! My family back home always thought I was exaggerating when I told them how big the spiders in my room were. Now I have proof.

My husband insists we keep ours, too. They go down to the basement to kill the cockroaches. I had one in my pajamas once. I nearly fainted. Don’t think the spider was too happy to be there, either.

Yep, they’re pretty cocky little bastards! My husband laughs when I explain that they sometimes chase me, but I know it to be true. Scuttling little vermin… :aiyo:

Spiders are cool. Nothing wrong with cockroaches. They are not dirty. Their presence indicates that you need to clean up your living space. Clean home = no cockroaches. They are not dirty. YOU are dirty!

(Not meant as an attack on Ms Nemesis, who I am very fond of, but on the cockroach naysayers).

Yep, they’re pretty cocky little bastards! My husband laughs when I explain that they sometimes chase me, but I know it to be true. Scuttling little vermin… :aiyo:[/quote]
Finally! Someone who understands! :notworthy:

[quote=“jimipresley”]Spiders are cool. Nothing wrong with cockroaches. They are not dirty. Their presence indicates that you need to clean up your living space. Clean home = no cockroaches. They are not dirty. YOU are dirty!

(Not meant as an attack on Ms Nemesis, who I am very fond of, but on the cockroach naysayers).[/quote]
Roach lover! :raspberry:

I don’t like spiders or roaches?!? :frowning:

That spider, other than it’s size, doesn’t look too scary though, it’s the super multi-colored, 4,000 eyeball spiders with sharp fangs that really scare me. And at least with big ones you can see them coming.

Bullshit, Jimi. We have them fairly often.

My wife’s a clean freak.

We live next to a dirty restaurant. They come through the pipes, through the walls…

[quote=“ice raven”]Bullshit, Jimi. We have them fairly often.

My wife’s a clean freak.

We live next to a dirty restaurant. They come through the pipes, through the walls…[/quote]
Now why would they come through the pipes and wall to visit you when there are far tastier tidbits elsewhere? Perhaps to take a shower and have a comfortable nap?

Bleach is your friend.

Best way to deter cockroaches: never have food at home, always eat outside :laughing:

They drink any water droplets and the little jerks even eat books, paper and cardboard. Given a choice, I’ll take four spiders over four hundred roaches any day of the week.