Gift for my girlfriend

Hey guys,

this is my first post at Forumosa.com, as I’m a newbie :bow:

So I’ve been together with my Taiwanese girlfriend since around 9 months, recently she lost her student job, had some arguments with her parents, etc…
I want to buy her a little gift that will not only cheer her up but also comes like a little surprise delivered to her doorstep.
Any suggestions?

Oh yeah: she’s 21, a student at NTNU, I’m 19 and a poor student as well :slight_smile:

Give her a good time.

Take her to her favorite restaurant and talk about what she wants to talk about. If she wants to talk about it fine. If she wants to talk about other things fine.

Your very presence and quality time you spend with her means more than that diamond watch you can’t afford. Believe me on this.

Go to a stationary store. But a pretty glass bottle or something and some small origami squares–some plain colorful paper and some fancy metalic ones to mix in. On each paper write something you like about your girl. Stuff about her looks, stuff about her personality, stuff she’s accomplished that you admire–you get the picture. Fold them into little hearts or flowers and put them into the jar. You can even mix in some colorfully wrapped candies or something.

She will LOVE it!! (Trust me, I’m a girl.)

And welcome to Forumosa.

[quote=“housecat”]Go to a stationary store. But a pretty glass bottle or something and some small origami squares–some plain colorful paper and some fancy metalic ones to mix in. On each paper write something you like about your girl. Stuff about her looks, stuff about her personality, stuff she’s accomplished that you admire–you get the picture. Fold them into little hearts or flowers and put them into the jar. You can even mix in some colorfully wrapped candies or something.

She will LOVE it!! (Trust me, I’m a girl.)

And welcome to Forumosa.[/quote]

Woahh…that’s such a great idea, thank you so much :bravo: I already found a website with folding instructions form origami!! I seriously never thought about anything like that, it’s so personal…great :slight_smile:

[quote=“Knowle West”]Give her a good time.

Take her to her favorite restaurant and talk about what she wants to talk about. If she wants to talk about it fine. If she wants to talk about other things fine.

Your very presence and quality time you spend with her means more than that diamond watch you can’t afford. Believe me on this.[/quote]

You’re right about the watch…I’d be broke for the next months and it’s not really personal…

Just post later and tell us how it turns out.

Cheer her up, tell her how cute …she lost her student job! Well thats good training for when she loses a “real” job later on in life. And parents…its normal for young people to have a few dis-agreements with their parents now and then. She could use your being there for her. Thats the biggest present. Little things you could get her too like maybe a new wallet (if shes been asking for one) or some such.

[quote=“janf89”][quote=“Knowle West”]Give her a good time.

Your very presence and quality time you spend with her means more than that diamond watch you can’t afford. Believe me on this.[/quote]

You’re right about the watch…I’d be broke for the next months and it’s not really personal…[/quote]

you can’t give a watch as a present anyway…like the “four” superstition it means death (送終/鍾)…if you really want to give a watch as a gift here you ask the recipient for NTD10 so it becomes a non-gift…weird I know but that’s what a gf of mine once did when giving me a watch for me b’day…

Technically you must never give a CLOCK ,but a nice watch is often appreciated. They say never give shoes, as that allows the other person to “run away” so thats why you must ask for a token amount of money in return. :slight_smile:

Also never give handkerchiefs as they signify the person will cry and experience a sad event.

No white flowers at any time either. Those are used at funerals.

[quote=“tommy525”]Technically you must never give a CLOCK ,but a nice watch is often appreciated. They say never give shoes, as that allows the other person to “run away” so thats why you must ask for a token amount of money in return. :slight_smile:

Also never give handkerchiefs as they signify the person will cry and experience a sad event.

No white flowers at any time either. Those are used at funerals.[/quote]

who the hell would give a girl a clock anyway? but yeah you is right…maybe that girl was especially superstitious…

Well the shoes part is true, i used to buy my then gf a lot of shoes and also got a lot of samples (was in the biz) and gave them to her. She ran off, but it took her ten years to do so tho. :slight_smile:

And i gave another GF a clock , a Casio alarm clock as she wanted one, Clock and her still alive after ten years :slight_smile:

p.s. Yes I was kinda sorta dating them both at the same time. Maybe thats one reason one ran off and the other clocked me?

[quote=“tommy525”]Well the shoes part is true, i used to buy my then gf a lot of shoes and also got a lot of samples (was in the biz) and gave them to her. She ran off, but it took her ten years to do so tho. :slight_smile:

And i gave another GF a clock , a Casio alarm clock as she wanted one, Clock and her still alive after ten years :slight_smile:

p.s. Yes I was kinda sorta dating them both at the same time. Maybe thats one reason one ran off and the other clocked me?[/quote]

groan

Do what husbands all over the world do: give her something YOU want for yourself! Nothing says “I love you” like a power tool, tickets to the game, or the latest electronic gadget! :smiley:

[/quote]

Yeah…I don’t think the swine flu is that serious in Taipei yet xD

But thanks for all your suggestions!

Oh and are you serious about all those stories dating two girls at the same time? oO oO